A little help with my HDMI setup

Username: Cwhedlund

Post Number: 1
sony tv (w/ one DVI output)
sony 7.1 receiver (w/ 1 HDMI monitor out, 2 HDMI inputs)(3 opt audio in)
sony 5 disc dvd player (w/ 1 HDMI out)(1 opt audio out)
comcast motorola cable box (w/ one HDMI out)(1 opt audio out)

i wantend to run everything HDMI through the receiver, but the cable box wont send HDMI signal thru the receiver... so i had to use a HDMI switcher box between the tv and the dvd/cable box.

i have video fine on everything but the problem is with audio...

i have a opt line from the cable box to the receiver and that works good decoding multi channels and i still have HD video good too. (perfect)

i had the dvd with an opt line as well but my reciever wont display the multi-channel decoding light even though i know im playing a dvd with multi channels...

the first thing i tried was instead of having the HDMI line on the dvd go straight to the switcher (and onto the tv) i routed the HDMI from the dvd to the receiver onto the switcher and then to the tv, even though i have no audio connected on the dvd to conflict with the HDMI, i still dont get audio (i get video though)

any solutions? ... im stumpped

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1000
"i had the dvd with an opt line as well but my reciever wont display the multi-channel decoding light even though i know im playing a dvd with multi channels..."

Have you programmed the DVD player to output the digital surround formats? Check your owner's manual. When you're finished with that, re-install the optical line from the DVD to the receiver. You should be getting the DD and DTS indicators on the receiver.

Username: Cwhedlund

Post Number: 2
i did try changing some digital audio settings on the software side of the dvd player, but nothing seems to really change...

the HDMI blue light turns on when the dvd player is active, which makes me wonder why the receiver isnt getting the same signal.

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1001
corey, you did not provide a model number, but if you have a new Sony receiver with HDMI Pass-through inputs/output, then that means the receiver does not recognize or otherwise process the video or audio signal on the incoming HDMI signal. It simply passes the signal through to the TV.

This from a user:
I purchased this receiver [STR-DG 800] at Best Buy 3 days ago. It's going back tomorrow. I just can't forgive Sony for the lack of HDMI audio support. Sure I can use HDMI for video, optical for audio, and reassign an optical port... But I wont! Don't be duped by Sony, stay away from their receivers. I can only imagine how many man hours have been waisted figuring out this undocumented limitation. The HDMI ports do not belong ont this receiver.

Use this link and then click on "7 customer reveiws"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EU0UVA

I repeat:
re-install the optical line from the DVD to the receiver. You should be getting the DD and DTS indicators on the receiver.

Username: Lucas2523

Plano, Tx Usa

Post Number: 1
I have a 32" JVC LCD TV and a DVD Digital Theater System with 5.1 Dolby Digital with Decoders built in. I also have Comcast HDMI with a DVI connector. I want to have sound when I am watching the TV thru the Theater System. I have read the manuels and still not understanding. please help

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 1032
deborah, the best way to get TV audio into your external system is to feed the audio signal out from your cable box into your audio receiver. The key question is whether your theater system has a digital or analog audio input on it. If not, you are out of luck.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us