Speaker Placement

Username: Fishcatcher

MI USA

Post Number: 1
I need advice on speaker placement for my Orb 2 speaker system. Fronts will have to go on ceiling angling down but don't know where to place them. Where to put sub, and center. Rears will go on ceiling also angling down. I am including a diagram of room with approximate layout. Any help will be appreciated.

Upload

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 993
Paul, I'm definitely not a fan of ceiling mounted speakers. The ideal thing is to have the front three speakers as close to the same plane as the picture. But you gotta do what you gotta do, so to make the best of this situation, I would mount the center speaker in the ceiling too. At least the front soundstage would be across the same plane. Sub placement would ideally be somewhere in the front, but failing that you might wire it to the far corner by the lamp. All speakers sould be installed in accordance with this diagram as closely as possible. I wish you luck and I hope you're good at fishing wire through walls.

Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Mikemv1977

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 24
Ahhhh, sounds like some fun to be had with that install. My recommendation is taking ur entire living room set up and changing it to the length wise set up. goin by width kind of reduces sound buoyancy from travelling. my livingroom is 17x14 ft, i have evrything set up so that my entire living room speaker set up goes the length of room. It your choice of course, but you can also go by what THX describes for proper set up in a livingroom.

http://www.thx.com/mod/products/speakermodes.html

And its usually a good idea to set your center channel slightly behind your left and right front speakers to get a more ambient feel to the living room surround. I wish you luck.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 994
I agree mike, good suggestion. The only problem with it....Paul is married.

:-)

Bronze Member
Username: Mikemv1977

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 30
Gotta love that when the wife decides how the living room should be set up,. fortunately my g/f loves how I have mine set up. Oh well, maybe he can buy her flowers and that will change her mind. LOL.

Username: Fishcatcher

MI USA

Post Number: 3
Yea I'm married LOL and the room has doors or doorways on three sides. The diagram doesn't show the door on the right end of the room. I have to work with the diagram. I think I will use wall mounts & floor stands to set the room up as in the diagram John uploaded. Fishing the wires is not that much of a problem. If you have baseboards in your room, you remove them and knock a hole through the drywall. Send an electricians tape through your hole at the speaker location to the floor where you knocked a whole in the drywall. Hook your speaker wire, which should already be through the floor, to the tape( actually it is a wire ) and pull it through the wall to your speaker location. Attach it to the speaker. Put your base board back on and the hole near the floor is covered. Thanks Guys.
I am going to work on it in the morning.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us