Go with old or new receiver?

Username: Mark18

Post Number: 1
I'm upgrading all my equipment from 6+ years ago. So I pretty much have all new stuff and am trying to catch up, knowledge-wise, on everything as I go.

I recently bought a Yamaha HTR-5890 instead of the 5990 because I figure component is as good as HDMI except for more cables. I want to run everything through the receiver (video and audio).

But I ran into a problem. My new DVD recorder has HDMI and upconverts the dvd signal. But in oreder to record through the receiver, I have to use s-video and the best quality. So, I'll be able to record through the receiver, but I'll have to watch dvd's at s-vid quality. Not good.

The only solution with the 5890 is to buy an additional dvd player and connect with the component.

Here's my question...

If I return the 5890 and upgrade to the 5990 (I figure I'll be paying about $200-$250 more for the 5990), can I do the following and have it work (I don't want to do trial-and-error again)?

Comcast HDTV box - DVI out to HDMI into receiver (optical audio)

DVD recorder (Panny DMR-ES25)- HDMI to HDMI into receiver

Reciever - HDMI to DVI into the TV.

VCR - old school analog hookup

That would solve my recorder issue, and I know DVI and HDMI are compatible as far as video goes, but I guess I'm wondering if I can go from DVI to HDMI to DVI (Cable to receiver to tv)?

With the 2 options I'm looking at, buying an extra dvd player will save me about $100-$150, but adds an extra component, which isn't good news to my family.

Also, any thoughts on the 5890 vs 5990 in general would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

Username: Mark18

Post Number: 2
Am I missing something? The yamaha manual has a diagram showing dvd "out" to receiver "in" and receiver "out" to dvd "in" in a loop. Isn't the only loop, or line I guess, Cable box "out" to receiver "in" to receiver (dvd recorder) "out" to dvd player "in".

If that is true and I don't need a "loop", could I use the 5890 and send the signal being recorded to the recorder via s-video? And for watching movies send the signal to the receiver via component?

The chart in the manual on the yamaha website doesn't mention this configuration, which makes me wonder whether I can do this or not. I also don't know how the dvd-ram "time-slip" would work with this setup.

I better just wait for some answers before I confuse myself any more.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us