Cable Box DVI OUT to HDMI - AUDIO CABLING

Username: Maxmasters

Post Number: 3
DumSh needs some sanity check advice PLEASE:
My Local Charter HD box (w/o DVR) has NO HDMI OUT, although local boxes w/DVR DO HAVE HDMI OUT (a way for them to squeeze another $10 out of me, I assume...I have my own DVR, thank you). I'm going to run DVI to HDMI out of the cable box. Now AUDIO needs to be resolved. My HDTV (Mitsu 62527) appears to have ONLY R/L Analog Audio In (i.e. No Single Coax Digital IN to match the Single Coax Digital Out present on the Cable Box). The TV DOES HAVE a Single Coax Digital Audio OUT connector. Does the HDTV receive the analog signal from the cable box and then convert it to Digital (I think so)?? Is there anyway to keep this Audio Signal Digital to Digital from the cable box to the HDTV or am I losing sleep (LOL) over nothing at all?? Any help is much appreciated. I will have this hooked up before DEADWOOD tomorrow night come hell or highwater!!! THANKS!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 226
Do you have an AV receiver of some sort?

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 227
Regardless, if your using your TV speakers it does not matter if your using analog or digital as far as sound quality goes (if thats what your asking). Use the RCA cables, with two speakers (inside the TV) your only getting stereo anyway.

Now if you have some form of 5.1 set - up, hook the digital coax/optical cable from your set top box to your receiver directly.

Post Number: 4
Thanks Mike...after further reading the Mit TV manual, I see what you are saying here. I do have a 5.1 Recvr (Panny XR70S) so I will take the Box's Single Digital Audio Out and connect it to the Recvr's Digital Audio IN. But I guess I still need to connect the Box's Analog Audio OUT (R/L) to the TV so I have audio if I chose NOT TO USE the Recvr at times, right?? Thx for your help..This crap is like SWAHEELI to me...>>MAX

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 228
I suppose so, though I am not sure why you would only want to use the TVs speakers...

Post Number: 6
No real reason I guess other than I wouldn't care one way or the other whether I was watching the news through my Recvr's speaker system or just through the TV's. I cannot believe what Charter told me today. Their newest HD/DVR boxes here DO NOT have HDMI but the older ones (the last batch)do. Obviously Atlanta Scientific gave them a sweet deal on BS Boxes here. This Charter outfit is the only game in town versus Direct TV Satellite. MONOPOLIES!!!! Thx for your help...Max
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us