Onkyo HTS 780 b

Username: Captaintom

Post Number: 1
Need some help setting up this system. Everything works and sounds good. Only trouble is I get no sound on a number a cable stations. Video is great on those stations.

The cable system is Cablevision in central NJ.
Station 8 and stations 30 thru 59 will not produce sound. A few others also but the 300 movies channels work fine.

Anybody run into this before? Thanks.

Capt Tom

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 958
Anybody run into this before?

A few years ago I hooked up the S/PDIF coax digital audio output from the cable box to my receiver. There was no sound on any channel below 100. I was forced to use the analog audio outputs for the lower channels.

Bronze Member
Username: Mmastin

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 16
Bummer. You can probably put the Onkyo on TV mode and get a very good simulated surround sound with Analog connections. Fortunately I have Dish satellite and it sends digital signal thus I have an Optical connection. I have tried both Analog and Optical and honestly could not tell the difference. Probably could if they were side by side...maybe my ears are not sensitive enough. Anyhow, my point being that analog is decent.

Username: Captaintom

Post Number: 2
Mark and John, thanks for your ideas. Turns out it was a combination of issues.

The Cablevision box that I was hooked to was several years old. Switched to the newer box in my livingroom and everything works fine. Now I get great sound and picture on all channels. It was an analog/digital incompatibility problem (my son's words, who actually identified the problem).

The problem I had with the DVD was my fault. I used video s cables to hook to the Cablevision box but used regular cables to hook up the DVD. Can't do that. Once I switch to all s Cable, the DVD works great.

Support and the manual from Onkyo are lousy, but the system is great value. Love the sound.

Capt Tom
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us