Best way to hook up a home theater system with a few addons

Username: Dave01

Post Number: 1
Hello

I just got a sony home theater system. I what to know how to hook my DVR/cable box DVD/reciver box and xbox 360 to my HDTV. And get the best audio and video quality.

The HDTV has 2 rca 2 s video 2 Component and 1 dvi inputs.

The dvd/reciver has rca s video component hdmi coaxial and optical digital.

The dvr/cable has component and spdif and optical spdif.

The xbox 360 has component and optical spdif

Any ideals on how to hook all these togather would be very helpful. Thx

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 191
David it would be easier if you gave us eall your brands and model numbers.

Bronze Member
Username: Floyd_1977

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 29
xbox component -> receiver
xbox optical -> receiver
cable box component -> receiver
cable box optical -> receiver

receiver component out -> TV component in

If your receiver doesn't do component video switching, then you will need to connect the component video from your cable and xbox directly to your TV.

Username: Aandyb106

Hello
I just bought a home theater system with a plasma TV and DVD player.With an electrical background I thought that connecting them together would be easy. I stand corrected. My cable service is with Comcast ( I have a HD box)The TV is a Panasonic TH-50PX60U. The AV receiver is Yamaha HTR5960. The CD/DVD player is sony DVP-NS75H. I also bought two HDMI cables, two fiber optic cables and a stereo audio cable. All the components and cables were recommended by the store representative. Can you help me put these components together

Bronze Member

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 48
Connect audio from your sources (HD box, CD player, etc.) to your receiver's audio inputs. If you want your receiver to do video switching, connect video from your sources to your receiver's video inputs and the corresponding video connections from your receiver's monitor out to your TV's video in. Otherwise, make video connections directly from your sources to your TV.

I'm afraid no one in their right mind is going to download manuals for all your equipment and tell you which cable to connect to which jack. There could potentially be 50 connections (or more).

Silver Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 196
Its a pretty simple set up. I don't know the Comcast box so only you know if it has HDMI out put, I will assume it does. Hdmi out to the TV from the cable box and the DVD player to the 2 HDMI in puts on the Panasonic plasma. Optical wires from the cable box and the DVD player to the receiver, you must put them in the correct ports that are pre labled for them. You will need to do a set up for the DVD player, for what ever reason you need to activate the digital bit stream from the DVD player and set up the HDMI out on the DVD for 720P because the Panasonic is a 720P device.

Bronze Member

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 49
You're right, Casey. I got a little carried away when I said "50 connections or more."

It just seems there are way too many posts on these message boards of people who want to list all their equipment and have someone tell them exactly how to hook everything up without having to crack a manual themselves.

Silver Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 197
Nathan I hear you. But some of these people can'nt figure out there systems even if they did read the manual. For you and I it comes easy. And how would they know to turn on the digital bit stream for the DVD. These things should come active.

Silver Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 174
It would not be easy for the newbs to follow the manuals. Even a TV can have several different inputs & outputs and then all the terms for different ports & cables just add to the confusion :-). As Casey asked above, I normally love to see the list of their equipment to have a better understanding of what they have to give more appropriate advice/suggestions.

Bronze Member

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 51
I think sometimes I (we) have to realize that some people aren't really that interested in this stuff and just want someone to tell them exactly what to do to get up and running.

I just prefer to see people ask a specific question when they can't get something to work, to show that they've at least made some kind of attempt.

Sorry if I've offended anyone, but I just prefer to see people ask a specific question when they can't get something to work, to show that they've at least made some kind of attempt.

Username: Pawn657

I have a LCD HDTV and a scientific atlanta 8000 hd/dvr cable box. What is the best way to hook this up with my progressive scan sony dvd player? Listed below are my available inputs. I have decent speakers on tv so not sure about home theater yet, but it is an option. Any help would be appreciated.

augustus One HDMI input
One D-sub input
Two component A/V inputs
Two S-video inputs
Two composite A/V inputs
One composite A/V output
One digital out coaxial (SPDIF) output

Username: Pawn657

Post Number: 2
By the way I have "Cracked" the manuals but not sure of the best hookup as far as quality goes. I can do the hookups, that is not the problem. Want to draw on someone else's expertise to tell me which of the available slots will give me the best picture and sound. thank you.

Bronze Member

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 52
For video, here is the order of worst quality to best:

RF (coax)
Composite video
S-video (significant improvement over composite)
Component video (improvement more noticeable with a larger TV)
DVI/HDMI

For audio:
Analog
Digital (optical or coax)
5.1 Analog (the only way to hear multi-channel high-resolution music in most cases)

You could probably also find this information with a quick google search.

Bronze Member

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 53
Also, I'd be willing to bet that your DVR and DVD manuals indicate which audio/video connections are the best.

Silver Member

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 202
Not knowimg the model # on the DVD I have to guess that component video (red green blue) is the best connection for Progreesive DVD. You must also activate the proggressive scan out put.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us