Center Channel large or small

Username: Bandwfan

Boston, MA USA

Post Number: 2
Hello everyone! First post...

Had a quick question I wanted to get some insight on. I just upgraded my reciever to the Sony STRDE-895. It has many more options than my old Sony, and so far, I love it.

One question I have is this. One feature this receiver offers that my old one didn't is to choose the "size" of all my speakers, large vs. small. I understand this allows bass signals to be bypassed from any "small" speakers to go to the sub. The manual pretty much suggests keeping everything at "large". My front speakers are the old B&W 602's, my Center is the old CC6, and my surrounds are the new 603's.

My question is this...

Does the CC6 qualify as a "large" center channel. I typically have it on large, and everything sounds fine. I don't feel that the center is being overwhelmed or anything. When I change it to small, I can't even tell a difference, but I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing. It could come down to preference I guess.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 168
Even if a speaker has 6.5" or bigger driver(s), if it can't go down to at least 40Hz, you need to set it to Small.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 190
NBC what sub do you have? The B&W's are a nice set up, But they are book shelf size speakers that would be best set for small. You also have a sound level setting that when you run it from the set up menue it will send pink noise around the room so you can set the loudness for each speaker.

Boston, MA USA

Post Number: 3
My Sub is a Paradigm. 100 watt powered 12 inch sub.

Sorry to be such an amateur, but what is "pink noise"?

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 218
It's a test signal that allows you to set the output level of each speaker to compensate for distances etc. Basically you want the same volume, during the test, to come out of each speaker.

Boston, MA USA

Post Number: 4
Oh, ok, I didn't realize there was another name for "Test Tone". Thanks.

That wouldn't help though, would it, since the pink noise is just that, noise. It is used to set the VOLUME of each speaker, not the bass adjustment, right?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us