Cables and connections.

Username: Deadhorse

Post Number: 7
I'm redoing my system as I've just purchased a new receiver and sub. All my components were connected with the red, white and yellow cables. (I think they may be referred to as RCA cables/connections?)

Anyway, now I have some options and want to get the best out of each component.

VCR, S-video or RCA yellow video cable?

DVD, S-video or RCA yellow video cable? I could also go coax from the DVD to coax in on my receiver but have no coax in on my TV so if I'm going RCA cable to the TV do I loose any coax quality?

Subwoofer, subwoofer cable or left/right, red/white RCA cable?

I'd appreciate any advice, thanks.

Username: 1elias

Houston

Post Number: 1
my 2 yr old recently unplugged several cables from my home ent. system and i have no clue as to where they go, i tried to figure the system out but it doesn't work like it used to,,,,my rcvr has so many plug locations i am confused,,,i want to start from scratch,,,i have digital cable(box) a vcr a 32 inch regular color tv, a dvd/cd changer, a playstation2 system and a kenwood hts receiver....i have several cables, one s video cable set, and the rest are of the red-white-yellow type. i also have one optical cable..........can someone pls take the time to help?

Gold Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 1046
Elias next time open a new thread to ask a question. It is impolite to steal somone else's

Nick here is the order by which you want to judge which connections to use. If you have the option, from least quality to the best this is the order of the connections:

1)RCA composit(Red, yellow and white)
2)S-video with RCA composit for sound
3)S-video with optical or coaxial digital for sound
4)Component (Red, Blue, green) with Optical or coaxial digital for sound
5)HDMI/DVI

for help on best connection use this guide

http://www.ce.org/connections_application/CEA_Connections_Guide_Final_v2.swf

Bronze Member
Username: Floyd_1977

Plainfield, IL USA

Post Number: 19
Nick, the coax out on your DVD player is likely a digital connection for audio (is it an RCA type jack?). You want to use this connection to connect to your receiver for audio. If you want to use your TV speakers (I don't), you can also connect the red/white RCA cables from your DVD player to your TV. My opinion is, if you have a receiver and speakers, there is never really a reason to make any audio connections to your TV. I don't remember the last time I used my TV speakers.

Use s-video for your VCR, if available. Use s-video for your DVD player, unless you have a nice TV, and your DVD has component out (it should).

For your subwoofer, virtually any cable with an RCA connection will do (even a composite video cable).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us