Difficult question for you HT gurus

Username: Deuce_ace

Post Number: 1
I have what may be a difficult question for you HT experts... I have recently purchased a Sonic T-amp and some cheap Klipsch SB-1s which all sounds quite good but I have been bitten by the HT bug it seems. Anyways, I would now like to set up a multi purpose 5.1 system (intergrating the klipsch speakers) that will be used for my iPod, computer, and TV. I plan on upgrading my computer in the next year or two to a HT computer which will be my primary for all of my media... This is all well and good, but my budget constraints are quite limited. I was recently able to purchase a couple of Athena AS-R1 surround speakers on ebay for a good price which I imagine would fit into the sytem decently. So, now I would like all your expert opinions on a center channel, sub, and more importantly, a reciever. My budget atm is only about $300 but I am willing to hold off on the sub for a while. I guess my main question would be what is the best value reciever that I get for 200 or under. I am willing to buy 2 or 3 year old components as well as used items on ebay if they are significantly better than the under $200 recievers in places like bestbuy. Sorry for the rambling, please help a newbie out! Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Divin11112000

Michigan

Post Number: 84
My suggestion would be to keep the front 3 speakers R C L the same brand and the same "series" if your using the SB-1 for your fronts then look for the Klipsch C-1 for your center. Your surrounds matching are not as important, but the front 3 is very if you want good movement of sound across the front.

I'm not sure on recievers, but I'd look towards Denon or HK for recievers. I don't think you'll find the "higher end" recievers under 300 even on the used market but I haven't looked in a while.

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the advice Chris. I was thinking of agressively trying to win one of those refurb HK avr 235 recievers on ebay for around $200... would that suit my needs? Also, if I were to use my computer as my only audio source would it be possible to use a decent soundcard + a multichannel amp to power a 5.1 speaker setup instead of a reciever? If it is possible, would it save significant $$ or degrade sound quality?

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 211
That's tough Neal, I know this is not what you want advice on, but my recommendation is to wait. You will spend your 300$ now, and have nothing to show for it in a year when you swap them out for bigger, better, badder, etc. You already have 4 speakers, and my lowly opinion says you don't have to brand match them; one of anything in a 5.1 will sound good in a quality receiver, which is why I recommend waiting. You are definitely on the right track though, buying a refurb'd receiver is definitely a smart move, esp if you can get one with an intact warranty or purchase a product-service-plan. My 635 cost me about twice what you can get it for now (I paid 900$ which I thought was a good deal, but you hear about people getting it for 5 or 6 hundred). So, wait for another 300$, get your self a refurb'd quality receiver (or separates if that turns your crank). You can splurge on the front 3 channels later. If you must, get a centre channel that fits your current set up too, but depending on your use between music and HT, this might be your most important speaker. Your mains are the most important for stereo-listening/music, for HT its the centre channel, so I highly recommending not cheaping out on those. Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

Post Number: 3
My situation has changed somewhat due to incorrect auction listings... I now have 4 Klipsch SB-1s (I thought I had overpayed for 2 but it turns out I underpayed for 4! $150 shipped) and one surround AS-R1. I will likely try to grab a Klipsch C-1 from the same wholesaler that I bought the other speakers at to complete the set. For a sub would the AS-P400 ($150 on amazon.com) suffice or is there something better in that price range? On a side note I saw a referb HK 335 go for 230 last night from HK direct... would it be worth grabing the next one at this price?. Keep in mind I am trying to put together a good sounding, compact, and versitile system, but it doesn't have to be true "audiophile" quality. I should be able to scrap together the remaining $500ish If I can get the reciever / sub / center at reasonable prices with the aid of ebay. To me it seems like a solid setup for around $700 total but I could definately use more of your opinions / suggestions. Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 213
Not a bad find overall. I obviously cannot convince you to wait, but for what your paying you cannot really go wrong. That AS-R1 is the odd man out, but if you get another one you can set up a 7.1 system... :-)

The 335 is a great receiver, esp for 200$, verify warranty is intact though.

Sub looks good for the system and budgetary requirements as well, I say go for it and enjoy.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us