Is it worth buying a power conditioner?

Bronze Member
Username: 1lakerfan

Post Number: 22
Is it worth buying a power conditioner? How much better does it make a surround sound? I was looking at the Monster Cable Power Center (HTS2600MKII). It's about $350. Is it worth it?

Bronze Member
Username: Hogwild

Post Number: 46
I'm researching power conditioners now also.

I've found the consensus is that you'll pay double for anything made by monster. They are not good value.

From what I've learned, power conditioners do three main things:

Protect against surges like lightning strikes etc.

Protect against voltage fluctuations (do you notice your lights dimming / flickering when other equipment in the house activates).

Remove "noise" from ac current helping all the filters already built into your equipment.

A cheap $10.00 surge protecting power bar will do the first.

For up to about $200.00 you'll get the first, the second and very little of the third.

Beyond $200.00 you are paying for the third.

I understand that a $350.00 monster will do pretty much the same as a $150.00 panamax.

Bronze Member
Username: Hogwild

Post Number: 47
Interestingly enough I reviewed 3 power conditioners this evening at a local HIFI store.

They had told me that their furman line of conditioners was superior to panamax - that they had used a "noise sniffer" for comparison.

So I challenged them to show me.

They opened a new furman pst-6 ($100.00) and a new PST-8d ($229.00).

First they plugged the sniffer into the wall outlet alone - it buzzed.

Then they plugged the sniffer into the PST-6 it still buzzed - barely noticeable difference.

The PST-8d buzzed identically.

About this time the salesman was getting a little nervous.

When he plugged it into a $500.00 APC unit there was no buzz at all even when the volume was increased to full.

Crap!

Is the sniffer a scam? Or do I really need to spend $500.00?

How much is a noise sniffer anyways - not all hifi stores use them?

Username: Tj0099

Post Number: 1
Yes in all honesty. Besides protecting your system\investment against power surges\spikes, they also clean up the video signal quiet well. I use a Monster HTPS7000 with my HT and must say my video signal out of my cable box is cleaned up of noise on the line immensely, quite noticable. Friends with Sat systems say the same. I will say that for cleaning up the Audio signal...nudda..zip..ziltch...nothing notable IMO...

In 12 yrs of using one(started with an Adcom ACE-515 enhancer)I have never been happier knowing my "investment" is protected, I work hard for my money, and it does work. I'm also speaking from a Monster view as an owner, others may differ on their opinion and recommendations, there are many good ones out there...

Bronze Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 51
a suggestion is to consider an APC SmartUPS power backup and conditioner. This is the SmartUPS line, not the cheap BackupUPS or Back Pro UPS.

The SmartUPS units moniter the line, have surge supression, but also monitors for low voltage and boosts it when necessary. I live in a rural area with a lot of new development and it is very surprising how many times my APC SmartUPS 1500 goes into "boost" mode because of low voltage. Although designed for computers, the SmartUPS line puts out a pure sinewave 120v AC which is fully compatible with most electronic equipment. Many cheaper UPS's put out a modified square wave AC which can damage transformers in electronic power circuits.

Anyway, it works very well for me on my A/V system and has survived many power outages, droops, surges, spikes, etc. If you hook it to a computer via it's serial or USB connection, the software included will chart the ongoing power condition as it moniters the line.

One source of less expensive APC units is www.refurbUPS.com. I have purchased from them and been satisfied with the results.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us