Newbie needs help

Username: Mbsohio

Fortville, In US

Post Number: 1
I am somewhat new to the home theater world. I just moved into a new house and have been waiting to hook up my system. Now, I can't get it to work!!

I just bought a 56" Samsung DLP which has an HDMI cable. My Sony home theater receiver is about 5 years old and does not have HDMI-only the Red, White, and Yellow outlets. I also have a DirecTV HD DVR and a DVD/VCR Combo player as well.

Please let me know the best way to hook this up. I want to use my HDMI outlet, but I don't know where I should run that cable to. I REALLY appreciate anyone's help.

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 175
Well Martin, as far as your "receiver" is concerned, if it really "only" has composite cables, then that is what your limited too. However, even 5 yr old receivers have more outputs than composite, if not HDMI, the might have DVI, but failing that, it is rare to find a receiver (even the HTiB types) to not have component or something along those lines... but if you say your stuck with composite, we will go with that for now, although in your next post please show us the models and brands you have for each of your components, then perhaps we can help you out with a little more detail. So, with what you have provided so far, we can probably safely say your best bet is thus:

DVI-out/ HDMI-in connecting your Cable box.

Composite vid connecting your DVD video to your TV, coax/digital audio connecting your DVD audio to your receiver.

Username: Mbsohio

Fortville, In US

Post Number: 2
Thank you Michael. I guess I am a little mixed-up on the terminology. My main point on my receiver is it does not have an HDMI input. Following is my equipment list:

Receiver Sony STR-DE845
Directv rec HR 10-250
Toshiba DVD/VCR SD-V393
Samsung 56" HD DLP

I would like to take advantage of the HDMI capabilities of my TV to my DVD player, but I was told it's not possible if my Sony receiver does not also have an HDMI port. I really appreciate your help.

Username: Tri1

Montreal, Quebec Canada

Post Number: 1
need help with how to put in new keys , im new at this , thks
fd

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 183
Worry not about HDMI my firend, it is overrated at best. When you say you want to use your HDMI feature, that tells me you want both digital adio and digital video, just plug your video feed directly to your TV, via whatever digital feed you have (DVI or HDMI) and run TOSLINK or digital coax to your receiver.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us