How do I hook up all this stuff to get best picture and sound?

Username: Slimer75

Post Number: 2
Currently this is what I have: Toshiba 52HM95-TV Kenwood HTB-707DV 6.1 channel Standard Home Theater System-a/v receiver DirectTV HD satellite receiver Kenwood cd/dvd player. How can I hook up all this to get dolby digital sound. All I get right now is Pro-Logic. I have all possible cables that need hooking up(component, HDMI, toslink, digital coax) Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver Member
Username: Usa2k4

Post Number: 159
I think the HTB-707DV has 1 optical and 2 coaxial audio inputs. In order to get DD and DTS surrounds, the other components must be connected to the receiver via these digital audio inputs. The regular Left/Right input only gives you stereo and Dolby Prologic. You will then need to go to the setup on the receiver to tell it which coaxial/optical port you want to assign to which component (TV, cable box, DVD player, etc.)

Post Number: 3
Thanks Kevin.
It actually has 1 optical which is under DVD
and one coax.
The receiver automatically recognizes what signal it receives so I don't need to assign anything.
If I unplug left/right inputs and use digital connection, I get no sound at all

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 177
emil you may need to do a set up in the DVD meneu to turn on the Digital outputs

Post Number: 4
the DVD is not as important as the direct tv sound.
If I do it through the DVD player, does it always need to on even though i'm not watching a dvd?

Silver Member

Post Number: 160
Since the receiver has 1 optical and 1 coaxial inputs, you need to tell it which one of the two the DVD player is connected to.

Also, please check the DVD menu as Casey said.

Post Number: 5
thank you.
what if i was without a dvd player.
how can I get digital from my other components?

Silver Member

Post Number: 161
Your receiver has 1 optical in and 1 coaxial in according to what you said so you'll need to connect the components that have digital audio output (either coaxial or optical) to the coaxial and optical ports on the receiver then let the receiver know which component you connect to the optical port and which component to the coaxial port. This includes cable TV box, TV monitor, DVD player... The receiver has only 2 digital inputs so you can connect up to two components to it unless you use an add-on switch box.

Bronze Member
Username: Nfminstaller

Post Number: 20
With whatever item you're trying to get sound from a digital cable, you may have to enable that feature in the settings on the device itself. Everyone's been saying dvd menu, but they really mean cable box if that's what you're worried about.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 178
emil you say that the Optical input is labled for DVD what is the Coaxil input labled? Your Direct TV box needs to be hooked up to the Coaxil input on the receiver. Use the HDMI wire to go from the Direct TV box to the TV. IN the meneu for the Direct TV box select Setttings and then Audio. IN audio it will have a tab for digital out put you have turn it on and select Dolby Digital not PCM.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us