Confused...need help

Username: Lima_yankee

Post Number: 1
Just bought a new HT setup but so far disappointed with volume and sound. Equipment consists of:
Marantz 8500
Marantz CD player
Samsung DVD
Toshiba 42" TV
Ascend mains, center, and rears
HSU powered sub

I used digital cable and component cables from dvd to receiver and component cables from receiver to tv. The sound is ok but really surprised how much i have to crank the volume when watching dvd using surround mode. This reciever is putting out 125 RMS...should be able to blast you out the room at half volume. I have to crank the volume past half way just to get full sound. Any suggestions? Also, the receiver is supposed to be able to automatically detect the input and select the appropriate surround mode but it's not working either.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 173
John did you turn on the digital out put on the DVD in the set up menu?

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 173
What's cranking? We need a frame of reference to assess whether or not this is abnormal. For example, do you think -50 is "half"? Or are you saying your at -15 and having trouble hearing it... as for detecting the input signal, Casey might be right, if you don't have the player set to bitrate or PCM, then your only sending your receiver an "analog" signal in digital... 9/10 these bugs are in the setting up, not the hardware...

Username: Lima_yankee

Post Number: 2
Sorry, didn't mean to be vauge. Checked the settings on my dvd and yes they were wrong..duh. I corrected them to digital and the volume is much better...sound is great. I still have to turn the volume to about -15 to get what i consider full sound...just for reference -10 is almost too loud. Does this sound about right to you guys? Thanks for the responses.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 176
John have you done a speaker set up in your receiver's set up menu. You may need to do a speaker level set up. Pink noise is sent to each speaker while you adjust each speakers volume level till they are all equal. I ussually have the master volume at -20 to -25, -15 is LOUD on my set up. Most speaker level set ups are -12 0 +12 some -10 0 +10. the factory default is usually "0"

Username: Thekaboose

Turlock, California Usa

Post Number: 3
is there any body that can help me out with my fisher home stereo system, i don't have the book any more and i need help in hooking it up. please some one help me
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us