Newbie needs help

Hello. I am not happy with my system. So I am asking for some help. Here goes. I have some infinity RS-8 main speakers, and I'm borrowing my brother's rear surrounds and center channel. I just moved into a new apartment, and the room acoustics are terrible. I have poor imaging, lifeless sound and huge constructive interference problems with the subs. I think the main problem is with my apartment having a tall vaulted ceiling. I can't get good sound no matter which wall I locate the system on, and no matter where the speakers are located or pointed.

So what I think I need is some way of equalizing the system for the room. But I don't know. I am thinking I need to scrap my receiver and go to a pre-amp/equalizer/amp type setup, but I don't know what I'm looking for. I need help. I have a DVD/SACD player, and both aspects are important to me. I want good clean sound from home theater and music. Please steer me in the right direction. I'm willing to replace everything but the infinity RS-8's. Thanks in advance.

Greg Lee
How about saying more about your system and how you have it set up? Have you used a sound pressure meter from Radio Shack to set speaker volumes?

Josh Tillema
Receiver - 100W X 5 DTS, 5.1, etc.

Main Speakers - It's a pdf. Sorry about that. It's a 1" silk dome tweeter, 6.5" mid, and 8" side firing powered (100W/enclosure) sub. They are ported in the rear. I won't give you info about the center channel and rear surrounds (except that they are all ported), because I don't know much about them, and they aren't mine, so they're replaceable. And besides, I only listen to CD's through the main speakers.

DVD/SACD player - it's a lot like this one. They have discontinued it, and I'm at work now, so I can't search for the exact model number. This one has the same features, minus 5 disc changer capabilities.

Main speakers are 8' apart and about 9' from the listening area. One of them is in the corner of the room, with about a foot of space between it and the back wall, and 2 feet between it and the side wall. The other one is about a foot from the back wall, and 5 feet from the side wall. A sliding glass door separates them. I've noticed that when the door is open, voices project more. Center channel is above the tv (probably a foot above the mains) and right in front of the sliding glass door. Rear surrounds are directly to the side of the listening area and are the same height as the mains. If you want more info about how it's set up, I'll take a digital pic of my living room and post it later tonight.

I don't have a sound pressure meter. I set the speaker volumes through the receiver.

Josh Tillema
Crap. The html links were removed.

Receiver - http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F002%5F001%5F011%5F000&product%5Fid=31%2D5011

Main Speakers - http://manuals.harman.com/inf/hom/Owner's%20Manual/RS8%20(1990's)%20om.pdf

DVD/SACD player -

Josh Tillema
Crap. The html links were removed.

Receiver - http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F002%5F001%5F011%5F000&product%5Fid=31%2D5011

Main Speakers - http://manuals.harman.com/inf/hom/Owner's%20Manual/RS8%20(1990's)%20om.pdf

DVD/SACD player - http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=CEn4rh-hHSz4riHR3WDypVCx1EHE70REXVw=?CatalogCategoryID=VksKC0%2eNr3kAAADz1vATluG2&ProductID=YmgKC0%2eNhrMAAADzMGkTluG%2e&Dept=hav

JESherrill
First off, move your center channel below the tv, as close to ear level, in a seated position, as possible. If you are planning to replace all the speakers but your mains I suggest buying their infinity counterparts and an external sub or two. I have never been too impressed with towers with self contained subwoofers. Look at SVS subs, incredible bang for the buck, I have two. Consider an Outlaw receiver for a more cost effective alternative to a separates system. One question, what is between your mains. It is important to the soundstage for there to be nothing in the 8' between your mains. Purchase some window treatments for the sliding glass doors, this is a major problem. Lastly frequent hometheatertalk.com the preeminent HT forum. Those guys have forgotten more than I currently know about HT.

Greg Lee
I think you should buy an analog sound pressure meter from Radio Shack (about $35) and a calibration DVD (e.g., Home Theater Tuneup, available various places, including Border's bookstore, about $18). Then calibrate, before you think seriously about upgrading speakers or receiver.

I couldn't read the link to your Radio Shack receiver. Is that one of the STAV models? I have one. They're like the low end Pioneer line. You should be able to get good sound from it.

JESherrill's suggestion to get the center channel to ear level is good. Or at least angle it down to point to your ears.

Josh Tillema
Greg Lee -

Thanks for the info. Simple stuff like that can save me some money in the long run. The radioshack receiver is indeed the STAV pioneer line. I got great sound out of it at the old place. Also, I'll take the advice regarding the center channel, but I'm not that concerned about the whole surround system just yet.

JESherril -

Between the main speakers are a tv, raised to about 3.5 feet by a wooden cabinet containing the receiver, DVD, and VCR. The cabinet does not encase the tv. The center channel is resting atop the tv. Directly behind this setup is a sliding glass door equipped with the crappy vertical blinds that apartments give you for free. They are always open. There are no pictures on the wall bewtween the speakers, and the sliding glass door has not additional curtains.

For everyone -

As I told Greg, I'm not so concerned about all 5 speakers yet. That will come next. Right now, I want to isolate one problem at a time, so I am starting with the mains. I want to make sure I'm getting good clean linear sound out of them before moving on to the rest of the system.

I know a little about room acoustics from reading websites. I know the refections off the sliding glass door is bad. Tell me more about window treatments.

superfecta
I have almost the same setup as you(as far as speaker placement and a large picture window behind the tv.)So my first inclination is the speakers don't match accoustically.You mains have a different tonal quality and sensitivity than your rears and center.You can get one or the other set to sound good,but can't get them both?So if you get matching speakers (same brand is simplest)you may solve alot of the problems in soundstage.A dedicated subwoofer will help also.Those all in one towers lose alot of power in producing mid and subbass.Do you have carpeted floors?It helps if you do,cause hard floors reflect alot of sound in all different directions which ain't good.Any of this help?

Josh Tillema
superfecta - thanks for the reply, but i don't think that helps. if you've followed the thread, i've stated several times that i don't yet care about the soundstage. i just want the mains to sound good. i can't even get them to sound good with all other channels disabled. by the way, i do have carpeted floors

JESherrill
Try covering the sliding glass doors first. Go to Home Depot or the local equivalent and buy some 2x4s (two will be sufficient) and some screws (1" deck screws). Screw the lumber together to form an L shape and mount them to the wall over your sliding glass doors (be sure to find the studs as you will be hanging fairly heavy fabric from this mount). Next go to a fabric store and buy enough heavy tightly knit fabric to cover the doors from top to bottom. To avoid having to sew a hem in the bottom get enough to allow the fabric to pool on the floor a bit and tuck it back underneath so the raw edge of the fabric doesn't show. This should go a long way to improving your problems. However you have another large piece of glass sitting between your mains. The TV. It also reflects the sound coming from your speakers, but I think that you will notice a big difference after you cover up the sliding glass doors, as an added bonus you will also kill 90-95% of the ambient light comming into the room. Dark rooms are always better for movies and music.

superfecta
If you want the mains to sound good by themselves(good soundstage)and you can't,could it be something wrong with the speakers themselves?You should get them to sound decent,especially when all other speakers are not connected.If they don't sound good ,check the wiring,the source,and the speakers themselves for damage.I got a bud who noticed his speakers were sounding funny one day,turned out his kids had been playing them and blew one of the woofers.Sounded alright at low levels,but lousy at higher levels for movies.Just a thought.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us