Yamaha 5990 setup problems

Username: Saltyjd

Post Number: 1
I recently purchased a Yamaha 5990 which will be used for music, movies and some tv. I am hooked up to Athena 100's for the front, Klipsch sub, and a couple Boston Acoustics for the rear surround. I am having some trouble getting the TV audio to come through the 5990. I have a Samsung DVD audio going to the composite DVD connectors, and the video going to TV Monitor ( which is not the way they showed it in the manual). The composite audio from the TV is hooked the CBL/SAT connectors. I have played with the I/O assignments but can't seem to find the right combination. It is an older TV (36 in. Toshiba) but seems to be fine until I can move my Grand Wega down to the basement.

I also seem to have a problem with the center speaker. Very little sound is coming out from it unless the input is on 7 channel stereo. The speaker has been turned up in setup to its highest level. Seems like the front right speaker is getting most of the sound. It was always my impression the the center speaker was the most active.
I have tried the auto setup and also played with manual settings.

Any ideas or help is appreciated

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7901
Unless you have digital audio coming out of your TV...you will never be able to coax any sound from it in surround sound and center channel. At most it will do stereo, depending on your TV's audio output. That is one reason why the only time it comes out on center is when you use 7 channel stereo.

When you write "composite audio" are you refering to just one channel of audio output?

Post Number: 2
I was refering to the older type "RCA" plugs. I understand about listening to the TV's output in surround. I am not expecting that. I can't get any sound to play. Even with the receivers input on 2 channel.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 164
dw:Which Samsung DVD, Toshiba TV and CBL/SAT? Try this,Samsung DVD video out to TV's (composite ,S-video Component) best output. Coaxil or Optical Digital audio out from DVD to the receiver. CBL/SAT box should be set up the same way, Best video connection to TV, Optical or Coaxil Digital cable to receiver for sounnd. Without digital audio cable you will not get Dolby Digital or DTS,composite is only anolog audio good for stereo, pro logic or any of the other sound modes.

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 163
Right, dw, no sound at all should be coming out of your centre channel when the source is 2-channel stereo, UNLESS you are in 5/7 ch or pro logic type settings. Now having said that, if your set up as Casey recommended (which is fine) and STILL not getting 5.1 from Dolby sources (like your DVD player or some HD channels) then your settings are not correct. Make sure the receiver is set to "auto" for sound source selection (favours digital over analog) because if your just set to one or the other, then it will ONLY play sources in that medium. Next ensure your VD player is set to the correct out put. I.E. "bitrate" for audio if your using coaxial/digital optical, or 5/7 channel stereo if you have composite outputs, or just plain analog if you only have RCA cables. Even if your using digital cables, but only have your player set to output analog, you will only get 2-channels. Further 5 channel stereo only works with composite, it will not come out digital, you need bitrate for that. Cheers.

Post Number: 3
I seem to have some of it worked out. I now get sound from the tv. It was a combination of things I wasn't doing right. However, I still seem to be having this center speaker issue. On "music" program it works fine on "stereo-7 channel",but seems to lose its grip somewhat if I go to "movie spectacle" or most other programs. Since this is a 7.1, maybe I need to drop down to 6.1 or 5.1?

Post Number: 4
I have it all worked out now. Mostly my own doing. Thanks for the help
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us