Getting sub to work with HT and music ?

Anonymous
I recently added the Sony SAWM40 subwoofer to my HT system (nice sub for the $$, thanks for the recommendation). I connected it to my Yamaha RX-V730 receiver using the line-level 'subwoofer out' jack. It works great with 5.1 surround sound, but I can't get it to work with my regular music cd's (I play them on the DVD). Any help would be appreciated.

Ron

Greg Lee
Some receivers simply don't send anything to the sub when playing 2 channel pcm. I don't know whether your receiver is like this, but if so, a fix might be to connect your sub using left/right speaker connections instead of the RCA line level connection.

Derek
Check your receivers speaker setup menu. There may be a subwoofer mode called "Both" where bass is sent to the mains on a per channel basis and that same bass is folded into the sub. I've seen this problem happen on some receivers when the mains are set to large, bass is stolen from the sub and sent to the front mains.

Tempararily try setting your speakers to small and see if the bass returns to the sub.

Dolby Digital works because the .1 subwoofer channel is being decoded and simply be sent to the sub.

Anonymous
Derek,
Thanks, you were right on. Problem solved.

ROn
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us