Please help with surround sound hook up

I recently purchased a DVD player with surround sound speakers. My system is hooked up like this: It is daisy chained. Cable box to VCR, VCR to TV. All with Coax. My DVD player is then added to the system by way of S Video cable to the TV. The surround sound speakers are hooked into the back of the DVD player. The speakers work fine when I am watching a DVD. What I want to do is be able to use surrond sound when I am watching a VCR movie or just watching cable tv. What do I need to do? My VCR has an audio input and output that is white and a video input and output that is yellow. My TV has a variable audio output that are white and red and a aux a/v input that are red, white, and yellow. My DVD player has aux inputs that are red and white. What do I need to buy and what hooks to what.

Derek
A Receiver with Dolby Digital decoding for you DVD player and maybe Dolby Pro Logic II for the VCR/Cable box.

At the low end, try Sherwood. In the middle try Onkyo and Denon.

You need a receiver. Badly. In fact, I can't believe your're doing what you're doing. Basically, the receiver is the main switching system and traffic cop of your entire system. You'll route all audio and video through it. Get a cheap Sony for about $200 and you'll have it.

superfecta
You also need a stereo vcr.If you only have a white audio output and a yellow video output you have a mono vcr.It should have a red rca as well.Unless you have a massive movie collection on cassette,I wouldn't worry about it,I would hook the cable box outputs (red and white rca plugs,if it has em,otherwise you can't get stereo or dolby pro logic)to the imputs of your DVD player.I assume it has inputs and a small amplifier built in.

i have know clue about sound systems so i was wondering if u could tell me what the subwoofer,amplifier plug into and how to do it and does my amplifier have to have more watts then my subwoofer and speakers or what plz tll me i have know idea
thanks hommie

Hey everyone!
I know I need a receiver, but I'm seein if I can make do in the meantime until the money rolls in for a good setup once and for all. Currently I have a cable box-->vcr-->tv with RF coax and my dvd player goes into the rca plugs on the back of the vcr. I also have a little emerson ht200 5-spkr system with an amp and the amp has connections for "LD" "VCR" and "AUX" on the back of it(RCA jacks). Could someone PLEASE! tell me if i can hookup this surround sound system to be able to hear both VCR tapes and dvd's in surround sound. I have an Audio right and left o/p on the VCR open ... and video ... no extra jacks on dvd player .. and cable box has aux audio stereo inputs and extra audio o/p(stereo).

Derek
See my two long posts in "Home > Discussions > BBS > Home Video > DVD Players > DVD to VCR to TV to Stereo hook up" for instructions.

Brian Hazzard
I have a Sharp 32 flat screen TV. I aslo have an existinf surround sound syste. How can I get the PIP to work. When I hit swap I get the sound form the surround and from the TV.

Tom Jones
WIre...

I went to buy a coax digital cable to run from my DVD player to my surround sound receiver. The guy recommended a $50 cable. Later I found a $7 cable that is also a digital audio coax cable. Is there a noticable difference in the sound? I would think the speaker wires were much more critical? I don't mind spending the money if the $7 cable will deliver crummy performance, on the other hand I'm not paying $43 for something I won't hear...

Derek
Tom, keep your $43. Digital cables only require a certain amount of bandwidth and to a lessor extent, impedence match. The connector is much more important.

I'll bet you could run a bare, unshielded piece of solid core copper wire between a DVD player and a receiver and it would STILL work...

I just hooked up my yamaha reciever and jbl speakers to my big screen but when i watch regular tv I have to have the volume pretty much the highest it goes before I can hear a single thing out of the speakers other than the tv speaker. Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

Derek
It sounds like you are using the variable audio-outs from your TV. Can you control the volume with the TVs remote? If so, switch to the fixed audio-outs on the TV. Turn the receivers volume down first though.

Hope this helps.

please help- I have a projection screen rca tv
sony hifi vcr- rca surrond sound system- with sub woofer- dvd player and a sat dish (older one in the yard with a receiver) and only unversial remotes- i cant get my pic and pic to work and i cant figure out how to set up my audio equipment
please help :(

Derek
See my 2nd long post in "Home > Discussions > BBS > Home Video > DVD Players > DVD to VCR to TV to Stereo hook up" for instructions.

Your picture PIP will work for all sources once you complete the instructions.

My surround sound works great with dvd's.
How do I hook it up to work with the TV?
The TV has video 1 & 2 with an S cable and I also have a cable digital box.
HELP!!!!!

HELP I have everything hooked up through the receiver but it is still playing through the tv. ANY ADVISE???? HELP

Angela
My emerson Ht200 We hookup my system and the surround sound speaker are not working at all. some told that it was that we are on digital cable now. Does that have something to do with it.

Anonymous
i have a sony receiver with surround sound at 80 watts per channel but on back of receiver it has 128 watts total i dont get that. also i have jensen speakers that hold 400 watts. i like to add an amp but cant find any receivers that have pre amp outs on it mine dont. is there still any way i can add an amp. i had a receiver before with 500 amps it was loud and this one i got i have to turn the dial about halfway before it gets loud.

Cindy
Help! i just bought a portland dvd/ mp3/cd player and hooked it up to my newer emerson 27" tv, and i get nothing. I know everything is hooked up correctly, i have double checked all connections. all colored plugs are matched to all other color plugs. is the dvd defective or the tv?

Carlos
I was wondering if i could get my surround sound on my cable box i just have 2 front speakers and a center speaker. i have it hooked up with my dvd and my xbox and game cube i have a sony trinitron flat screen with a sony reciever and to use those things i have to press the tv/video button on my tv. so how can i hook up the speakers to the cable box and not have to press the tv/video button? thank you

TRYING TO HOOK-UP A DOLBY PRO LOGIC RECVR. FOR SURROUND SOUND EITHER GETTING SOUND NO PICTURE, OR PICTURE AND SOUND SEEMS AMPLIFIED THROUGH VOLUME ON TV OR DVD INSTEAD OF THROUGH RECVR. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us