Mounting speaker brackets to ceiling

Username: Musclez

Post Number: 1
This is my first post. I hope it doesn't make me sound too new (it probably will). I'm moving out of my apartment and into a house next month. Wanting to mount my surrounds on brackets hanging from ceiling. The attic above the living room is floored. The speakers weigh approx 4lbs each. I figure i can drill through the ceiling and attic floor for running wires. As for mounting the brackets, would you guys feel comfortable just using drywall screws with anchors in the ceiling? I guess I'm asking if I need to try and hang them just from the ceiling itself or look for boards to srew them into?

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Angelo

New york

Post Number: 25
drywall is fine if you use anchors but if you feel more comfortable drill it into a beam.
when I was single I had a huge mirror about 50 lbs over my bed on the celing straight into the drywall celing and nothing ever happened thank God. boy those were the days

Bronze Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 39
I have had great luck with a brand of anchors called E-Z self drilling toggle anchors.

http://www.itwbrands.com/product_details.aspx?id=4

with the lock bar behind the drywall there is no way it will pull out, especially if used on a ceiling mount where all the force is vertical.

any Home Depot or Lowes will have them. Strength wise they are overkill, but they won't come out

Username: Musclez

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the help. That's very good news.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 956
With 4lb speakers you shouldn't have any problems.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us