Speaker Placement Help Needed

Username: Woodie

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone! I am in the process of finishing my basement and running speaker wires. I am going to buy an InFocus ScreenPlay 4805 projector and project it onto a 97 inch diagnol screen roughly 15 feet away. I am wanting to put 7.1 surround sound in the room.

Below is a pic of the setup that I am planning in the basement.

Upload

Questions:
1) With the screen being 48 inches tall and 85 inches wide, should I place my front speakers on each side of the screen about setting ear level with a slight angle in.

2) Where should the center channel speaker go? Maybe below the screen with an upwards tilt or above the screen with a slight downwards tilt?

3) Back speakers: I was going to put them at sitting ear level on each side of the couch. Is this correct?

4) Back surround speakers: How wide do I put these speakers from my center listening area? Should I set them at both edges of the loveseat and recliner? This would be the edge of my seating area.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give

Woodie

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 141
My 2 cents (all its worth too):

Put the centre (head height) and mains behind the screen so you cannot see them, the rear and side surrounds should be at least ear height. For left and right surround I would try to push them out to the front edge of your seating area. Since you don't really have an available corner to place your sub in, put that behind the screen too, bottom centre.

Side note: I am very jealous of your bar.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 873
Woodie, this is very close to my basement setup. The big difference is that I set the screen on the far wall opposite the bar area. There seems to be enough room to reposition the main seating in the middle of the room. Mounting the projector in the center would not be more of a problem than you have it now. This does three things:

1. It gives you more room to spread out the surround speakers, with the main surround just slightly behind the seating. Then there's more room for back surround placement, either in the ceiling or on the wall about where the stairwell starts.

2. Any guests at the bar would have a more direct view of the screen.

3. You could place the sub in the upper right hand corner in your diagram.

My 2¢

BTW, nice diagram. What software did you use to produce it?

Username: Woodie

Post Number: 2
Thanks guys for the advice so far.

I used microsoft visio for the diagram.

I thought about putting the screen opposite the bar but I didn't like the amount of room that I had for seating unless I went with the stadium seating.

I am planning on having a 15 in or 17in lcd tv at the bar for viewing.

My main concern was how wide to put the surround sound speakers. They may be over 20 feet apart if I put them like I have them in the picture.

I think I am going to mount a screen for the projector on the wall so I don't think I can put the speakers behind it.

Thanks for the help

Bronze Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 90
I agree that it would sound a lot better and your other half would like to see the screen from the kitchen and the bar.

Place the screen on the east wall.

Username: Sush_dawg

Post Number: 5
See this forum to guide you on your speaker set up

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/articles/129023.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us