Few questions before starting my build

Username: Compumasta

Post Number: 4
Hello all,
I will be installing my custom built(im a carpenter by trade) entertainment center. The bottom is pretty much at the stage that it can not be easily changed but the top can(ill post a picture drawing to show my plans). The subwoofer will be placed in a lower portion of one side and i was wondering what affect this may have on the potency and overall sound of the subwoofer. The front of the opening will be covered with that sonically invisible mesh-stuff used on speaker grills. Also, does turning a speaker sideways to fit in a hole on a shelf affect the sound produced from it? I know speakers are often directed to put sound in a certain direction and would not like to mess up the sound.
In addition, would it be worth it to splurge and move into the 1000 to 1500 dollar range for speakers and reciever from the ~700 range? How much difference will be noticable and how will build quality change? Thanks in advance

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 949
Spend more on speakers and less on the receiver. Reciever technology changes a lot, good speakers don't.

Bronze Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 37
With the exception of the very low frequency sound produced by the subwoofer, all speakers are very directional. If you introduce a "bounce" off a hard surface by directing the sound in a direction away from the listener, you will introduce all kinds of undesirable effects in the listener's perception of the sound.

On your built it.....have you made allowances for access to the wiring behind all the units ? Considering the weight and size of many of the components used in high end home theater systems, it will be a true headache in the future to change or troubleshoot any of the wiring when you do not have direct access.

I agree with the previous poster....Put your hard earned money in the speakers ! I have high end speakers purchased 25 years ago that are still doing a superb job - and in that same time I have been through 4 receivers. Electronic technology changes very fast.....speaker technology does not.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us