Why THX?

Username: Jeff10d

Post Number: 5
Hey all,
New to this, but have learned much quickly.
Planning on getting a 7.1 THX (select) [Onkyo TX-SR803-B] receiver and 7.1 speakers [JBL SCS-300.7], but wondering if it is worth it right now.
The HDMI DVD player I want [Samsung DVD-HD960] upconverts to 1080p, same as my TV, but it doesn't actually keep up with my sound equip? Is this correct? I would have to buy a DVD player w/ 7.1 THX to keep up with my sound equip? Bit pricey! Wondering if I should just go with a 5.1 system instead.
Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 131
What TV are you using with that 1080P DVD player. Don't sweat the THX stuff its all good if you have, no problem if you don't. Same with 5.1-7.1 if your wiring now go for 7.1, if wiring is a problem go 5.1.

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 136
As to the A/V sync problem, this is a bit of an issue with upconverting players. Normally it is with the HDMI out to DVI in (older TV without the HDMI). If your TV has 1080p, then it certainly has HDMI-inputs... so, where to trouble shoot...

Start with this:

Ensure your TV and Receiver are on the right channels/inputs FIRST, then put in your Disc.

If this does nothing, try watching it at 780P instead of 1080.

If all else fails, your Onkyo probably has a AV Sync adjustment feature (I have never owned an Onkyo, but my HK and old Yammie both have this feature) try using that).

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 934
Hate to pile on here Jeff, but why would you pair up that powerful Onkyo receiver with that JBL package? Those speakers are not much more than pc speakers.

Save some money if you have to and get a decent set of speakers, even if you start with only three at first.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Casey,
TV I am thinking about is a Westinghouse 42" LCD 1080p

Stof, no worries, any help appreciated..

I thought they were decent speakers?

JBL SCS-300.7 SCS Series Complete 8-Piece Home Cinema Speaker System

They do handle up to 100 watts.

Were these the ones you were talking about?

Thanks for the help guys,
Jeff

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 938
Absolutley. They will produce sound of course and it is a nifty all in one wires included package, but I would go with better speaker sets and a separate subwoofer for a good sound.

If you don't mind buying from a internet only manufacturers take a look at B stock or refurb speakers at Ascend , Axiom or Aperion. For subwoofer take a look at the lower line of HSU.

You are getting a decent receiver and a pretty good TV I wouldn't compromise the sound.

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 135
Jeff I don't have much experience with westinghouse TVs. Looking at just the stats it looks good, seems to accepted 1080P through HDMI and DVI connections. But the price for a flat panel LCD that does 1080P for $2300 from JR.COM tells me something about the build quility, you get what you pay for.I would research this TV a little before I go out and drop 2 grand plus on it. Stof gave you some good tips on what speakers to consider. Some of these brands can be liked right from the EQUISTICS home page.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Thx for response Casey,
I think I will wait for some reviews. However, the price is more like $2500 - just FYI. Everyone tries to get you with shipping, if they list a cheap price. And other cheap prices are from places that aren't reputable and have fake reviews about how great it is to do business with them, as I'm sure we all know by now.
Thx for the info!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us