Good deal???? Klipsch RF 3 surround system for $800

Bronze Member
Username: Killerjimmy

Los Angeles, CA United States

Post Number: 23
I found a klipsch rf3 surround package in fantastic shape. Includes RF 3's front, RC 3 Center, RS -3 surrounds and ksw 12 sub. I am planning on selling the sub and getting a mirage or a HSU sub to replace it, but my question is, for a small bed room (dimensions- 13' x 10' x 8') would it be a good deal/ set up?

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 906
the HSU will be better than the KSW, but not sure about the mirage. I never really minded the klipsch synergy subs. They aren't high end by any means, but far less boomy than other "mass market" subs IMHO.

I think that $800 is a great price, being that it is what the RF-3 went for originally. But, are these the speakers with the dark dustcaps, or are they inverted and copper color? The original RF-3 had dark dustcaps on the woofers, which looked like those from the RB-5, and these speakers are better than their replacements IMHO.

If the speakers are in great shape, I think its a great price.

And, keep the sub for a bit. You may find that you like it. It really isn't a bad unit, and one of my favorite mass market subs. It just doesn't discern between the notes as well as something from, say, HSU. But it isn't terribly boomy. You could do far worse on the sub than that one.

Bronze Member
Username: Killerjimmy

Los Angeles, CA United States

Post Number: 24
They have the original dark dust caps. What were the changes that they made from the original to the replacements?

And I have been growing to really like the ksw 12. I am absolutely taking your advise as far as giving it a fair listen. It is surprisingly rich and distinct.

I bought them and I was even able to talk them down another $200. So I got the whole package for $600. I am very pleased with the sound thus far. It does need a great deal of balancing, but it has infinite potential.

I don't know why but I have always been a klipsch loyalist. How do they rank in the hierarchy of speakers?

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 920
klipsch has been in business for roughly 50 some years, and their klipschorn has many proponents that think it is one of the finest speakers ever made (don't share their enthusiasm). Klipsch has a very strong heritage with making quality speakers.

The newer reference have a different horn that is molded into the front speaker baffle if I remember correctly. Also, the woofers are different.

To me, they do not sound as good as the older models. Klipsch still makes drivers like the older reference line, but they are available in the high end of the reference line.

this is a nice system, and a great price. Here is a review of the RF-3.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/klipsch-rf3_e.html

Silver Member

New York USA

Post Number: 921
klipsch has been in business for roughly 50 some years, and their klipschorn has many proponents that think it is one of the finest speakers ever made (don't share their enthusiasm). Klipsch has a very strong heritage with making quality speakers.

The newer reference have a different horn that is molded into the front speaker baffle if I remember correctly. Also, the woofers are different.

To me, they do not sound as good as the older models. Klipsch still makes drivers like the older reference line, but they are available in the high end of the reference line.

this is a nice system, and a great price. Here is a review of the RF-3.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/casse/klipsch-rf3_e.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us