Buying new SS receiver, video considerations?

Username: Pollox

MI USA

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I'm planning to move from stereo to surround/home theater (probably HK's AVR340 or AVR635), and I'm pretty settled about the audio parts. But in looking at the video side, I don't know much about which are really important.

What in the alphabet soup of HDMI, HDCD, Dolby, etc., is going to be important to me in getting the video from my VCR or DVD players to my conventional TV screen next month? And what will be important 5 years from now if I then have an HDTV, so that the receiver I buy now won't be obsolete?

I've read through some of the archives and didn't find what I'd like about these sort of questions. If it's been discussed before, can someone provide me a link? Thanks.

Username: Ascleanasitgets

KingstonCanada

Post Number: 10
component video switching if your budgeting hdmi switching if your not both will do HD

Silver Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 117
The future is not always clear, but from what we have today, in 5 years we will see. 1080P hdtv, HDMI wiring and switching in our AVR recivers, Blue Ray OR HD-DVD.

Bronze Member
Username: Ascleanasitgets

KingstonCanada

Post Number: 13
well if buddies lookingat a 340 that 1299 retail he could get a yamaha with HDMi switching for that price but we also don't know what buddy has for speakers

Username: Pollox

MI USA

Post Number: 2
I'm still looking for speakers and not sure what I'll end up with. You've given me a couple of things to look into more. Thanks a lot.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us