New surround sound set up 1st system need help

Username: Boo71886

Post Number: 1
This is my first home theater system so i wanna get this right, so all suggestuons would be appricated. Heres my system

TV
Samsung HL-R87W

TV Pedastal
TR85 Pedestal DLP Stand

Home Theater System
JBL Northbridge Series
EC35-center
E100- Front sides
E50- Back sides
E250P- subwoofer
Universal Remote- Logitech Harmony 880
A/V Reciever- JVC RX-D702B

I read reviews and I read nothing but good things. But can I use the E100's that are floor speakers for my rears as well? And what wwould be the best set up, I'm willing to spend up to 3,000 at the moment for the system, the reciever is about 800 by itself. Im also building my new computer which will serve as my media hub so for now i think 3000 for the entire home theater system is good.

Silver Member
Username: Praetorian

Canada

Post Number: 124
You can use floorstanders as surrounds, if you already have them... bit of a waste if you don't, as they are usually more expensive than the smaller bookshelves which is all you really need for HT surround channels.

As far as what you need for a set-up, you pretty much have everything already... so I am not sure what you're asking? It looks like you need a DVD player. You can get some very good ones for 200 - 300$, since you can view 720P, then you would probably enjoy an upconverting DVD player (480p - 720P).

If by set-up you mean wires etc, I highly recommend researching that yourself, but for my money, some 12 AWG stranded copper wire ("zip") - found at any local hardware store for 50c / ft or 1$/metre - for your receiver to speaker connections will be just as good as any "hi end" cable. I also don't recommend using the "provided" sub-woofer cable, buy yourself a standard one from any electronics store. They are usually of thicker gauge and of better connectivity.

Put the rest in your comp...

Post Number: 2
Well if I use the floor speakers will it mess up the sound? Would the floors sound better? What dvd player do you recommend? And should i go 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 setup? The place im getting them from there not very expensive. That and i truly believe in, if you want good quality u gotta pay a premeuim. like they say u get what u pay for.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 126
Well, try to nail someone down on the difference between 6.1 and 7.1... there is no truly universal answer to that question. As to content, I do not believe there is any 6/7.1 source content out there yet ("yet" being the operative term), so your not really missing anything with a 5.1 set-up. You can hedge your bet a bit as is, set up for 5.1 now, but upgrade to more channels later since you have the outputs already.

No, the floorstanders will not sound worse than bookshelf speakers as surrounds in an HT capacity, but better perhaps in 5 ch stereo. I stand by assertion that it is a bit of a waste for an HT application, as far as the e 100's go. Those are indeed decent speakers; I don't know what your paying for them, but for the system your hooking them up to, they will sound great. Pretty close (but not quite) to "top of the line" for entry-level HT.

I will NOT recommend a specific DVD player, but will give you some pointers as to what to look for. A really good DAC (digital-analog converter) is a 14-bit at 108 MHz VIDEO processing, most of the standard players use 10 bit @ 27mHz. So if you can afford it, go for the higher (or something in between, like 12 bit). You definitely want an upconvert player for that size TV, so get one that plays 720P. You can pay anywhere from 200 - 1000 $ ish for that type of DVD player.

Silver Member
Username: Bachatero07

Post Number: 101
I have a THX 7.1 system. Big whoop. Michael is right. 6.1 and 7.1 is not all that necessary right now. however, if you could afford a 7.1 reciever, purchase that. it will allow you to expand in the future. as for 6.1, there are a few DVD's out there with that output, but they are few and far in between. Gladiator (Signature Selection) was one movie with DTS ES 6.1 surround. I only have 2 floor standing speakers at the front. If you have a good sub and decent floor standing speakers at the front to deliver your bass, it is most definetly not needed at the rear. I'm not familiar with that specific reciever, but make sure it has an auto setup feature. All you have to do is setup a mic (which is included in the box) where you would normally sit and the amp takes care of deciding where each speaker is, how big each is, and how far each is. It then adjusts everything to give you the closest theatre experiance possible.
My setup:
Pioneer Elite 7.1 THX reciever
Sony Progressive DVD player
Sony Grand Wega LCD Projection TV
Infinity Primus 250 Floorstanding front speakers
JBL center, surround left/right, surround rear left/right
JBL SUB135 subwoofer
I'm also a computer tech if you want tips with a good media PC.

Post Number: 3
Dennis McIntosh- It does have auto setup and u dont need a mic. Also, the reciever i selected can take music files from my computer wirelessly so i plan on networking the entire system to my comp. I'll talk to you more about that after where done with the system. I was looking at a dvd player and saw this
Samsung DVD-HD931. Is this good? Is there a better one?

Silver Member

Post Number: 102
thats a really good dvd-player. great price for the features. however, as with the case of the 7.1 receiver, there is a newer technology of dvd's on the horizon and the dvd players for that technology are already popping up. there are two different technologies though. one is blu-ray disk which will be installed on all the new PLaystation 3's and the other is HD-DVD. its still up in the air as to which technology will be tops. i know a company announced that they have a dvd player in the works that is capable of playing both formats. cant remember which company though.

Username: Ascleanasitgets

KingstonCanada

Post Number: 6
Step your amp game up 800 bucks will get you at least a 200 series harmon kardon. ps wireless technology is balls.

Post Number: 4
what u got in mind joe? that reciever got really good reviews the wireless one i mean

Post Number: 5
Dennis McIntosh- should i wait for that? I plan on buyin a ps3 but not till next year

Dennis McIntosh- As far as the reciever goes im gonna stick with it, speakers all floor standing, and i was thinking of this dvd player heres the link its the yamaha DVDS2500

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/DVD_CD/DVDS2500.htm

now should i just get a cheaper solution for the time being since im buying a ps3 anyway? Also, you said you know about pcs so this is the build im construcating as the media hub and for gaming. tell me what u think
Component
Display
Dell UltraSharp 2405FPW

CPU
Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Dual Core CPU

Motherboard
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe

Memory
Corsair XMS Dual Channel DDR400 memory, 2 x 1024MB 2-3-3-6

Graphics
XFX PV-T71F-YDE9 GeForce 7900 GTX EXTREME (675MHz) (in SLI)
Sound card
Creative SOUND BLASTER X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS 7.1

Keyboard & Mouse
Logitech MX1000

Hard Drive 1
Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM

Hard Drive 2
HITACHI Deskstar T7K250

Hard Drive 3(External)
Maxtor OneTouch II E01G300 300GB 7200 RPM

Optical drive
LITE-ON 16X DVD R DVD Burner W/LightScribe

Case
Cooler Master CM Stacker 830

Power supply
PC Power & Cooling 510 SLI

Floppy drive/media reader

Router
D-Link DGL-4300 Wireless Gaming Router

Operating system
Windows Vista(When the kinks are out, XP Pro untill then

and this is what i have for the entertainment center so far
TV
Samsung HL-R87W/88W

TV Pedastal
TR85 Pedestal DLP Stand

Home Theater System
JBL Northbridge Series
EC35-center
E100- Front sides
E100- Back sides
E250P- subwoofer
Universal Remote- Logitech Harmony 880
A/V Reciever- JVC RX-D702B

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 127
Just keep in mind my houseboat theory: it doesn't make a good house or a good boat. Multi-format players will have similar limits (except perhaps "flagship" models).

My suggestion is to stick to the standard format DVD player for now Mr Green. It will be one or two technological generations before any "new" format takes over completely (blu-ray has a competing HD source as well).

Your HD931 looks to be right up your alley and should mate well with your TV. Keep in mind your TV has an HDMI input, not DVI, so you will have to buy a mixed cord (no problem) with DVI out to HDMI in.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 128
Ofcourse that Yammie far outstrips any other component you own at this time... thats one honkin DVD player! Remember for SACD you need to use the 5 channel in/outs, won't work over TOSLINK.

You and I have similar comps, I also use a GeForce right now, and wish I used Radeon. So if you have not bought it yet, maybe consider switching. The problem I have encountered is that GeForce already over-clocks their cards, so you have no where to go but a new card if you want to upgrade. Not to mention the over-heating...

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 129
*6 channel outs...

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
michael is rite about the radeon and geforce cards. i used to love geforce cards until that is i got my first radeon. as for the rest of the computer, my entertainment PC isnt as powerful nor does it have as much hard drive space because i keep all of my files and data on a separate server in my home. the entertainment pc itself is a little smaller then a VCR, P4, 512MB PC3200 RAM, 60GB HDD. http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-ASUS_ASUS_PUNDIT_R_800_S478_P4R8L_WO_MODEM_TV_OUT_DV I_4_IN_1_CARD_READER_1394_SPDIF
thats my PC. it has built in fiberoptic in and out, dvi out, s-video out, composite video out, 2 firewire ports, 1 mini firewire port, 5-in-1 card reader, 5.1 surround sound, 2 PCI slots, and a PCMCIA card slot. and thats all the stuff thats built into this tiny thing. if you already plan on buying a ps3, then buying a good standard dvd player will be fine. and joe, 200 series is about 600, which for about that price you can get a pioneer 840W 7.1 THX certified reciever.

p.s. i've also heard good things about that jvc reciever, i've also heard many times that it tends to get pretty hot. needs a lot of ventilation. its like a cycle, your getting the smaller amp to save on space, but the same space you just saved cannot be used anyway because it needs that much ventilation.

Post Number: 7
why do you think radeon is so good? what does it have that the 7900gtx doesnt? Being that the card just came out. Im also going to use the Samsung DVD-HD931. Dont worry, all the equipment will be well be cooled. Should i get a different comp for the entertainment system? And for the one i listed, should i get a back up power supply/surge protector?

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
ati cards have more compatibility for gaming. thats the main reason why someone would choose it. that can b seen as an opinion though.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 130
Although the scalable interface for the GeForce is a neat option...

KingstonCanada

Post Number: 8
For 800 bucks Id prolly buy the best yamaha reciever you can find. honestly you should budget more for it but right now futureshop is selling a yamaha 5890 for 200 off at 699 If you live in canada go to futureshop look for HK amps anything they have that ends in a 35 will be rediculasly discounted you could probably get a 435 if you can haggle the sales guy plus you have a good sound card you should use 6 channel direct from your PC

KingstonCanada

Post Number: 9
just you know don't let names like THX rope you in all that means is georgw lucas will cash your cheque. and if you think 840 max power is useful for anything but marketing your kidding yourself buy something with some decent current if you care abou quality and make sure to get some decent speaker wire dont spend less then 200 on speaker wire and banana clips and what not or you might as well have bought smaller speakers

Username: Bub12

Bville, WV USA

Post Number: 5
This is my first home theater system so i want to be able to hook-it-up right, so any suggestions would be appricated. The following is my entire system:

Audio/Video Receiver
Pioneer VSX-D814

Game System
PS2

TV
Sanyo - 2 sets of inputs/outputs, also S-Video
It also has speaker wire connections
and a subwoofer pre-out.

DVD/VCR Combo
Phillips

Satallite Receiver
Dish Network - one set of input/outputs, and S-video connection

Home Theatre Surround Sound Speakers
Dual Audio - 5.1 Dolby Digital
Center Channel
2 Front Satallite's
2 Rear Satallite's
1 Subwoofer

I need a connection diagram preferably or something that could help me in connecting all of the above and being able to use my system! None of the diagrams and websites I've been to have anything for a DVD/VCR combo... Does anyone have anything of that nature?? Thanks A lot guys

Upload
Upload
Upload

Post Number: 8
I'm sticking with the JVC reciever, do I need a amp? And as far as wires who makes good ones and why 200 for just wires?

Bronze Member

KingstonCanada

Post Number: 17
monster, acoustic research you can get off brand or even car audio wire if you want but i'd be looking for something 14 AWG + cuz those speakers pull some decent juice and you'll get way better quality at loud volumes

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 131
Drop the wire crap, that debate goes on ad museum in other threads. Mr Green, no, you do not need an amp per se. I don't even know if your receiver has pre-outs tbh. As for the wire, I already recommended oxygen free (I have heard people "swear" by anywhere from 6 - 9 0's), stranded copper "zip" 12 AWG that you can buy at your local hardware store, IN MY OPINION that 200$ min is a load of crap. I have used Monster, and I have used Pro-hardware's version, verdict: no diff. As for banana plugs, whatever, I used them too, but more for aesthetics than anything else, there is certainly no performance upgrade.

Post Number: 9
For the wires I choose this, Monster Home TheatreA Hookup Kit 300, I believe it has everything i need. But dont I also need Bananna clips and dvi-hdmi converter? Mosters are really expensive. Also, Will my DLP TV play HDTV content? If so what do i need to enable that?

Bville, WV USA

Can someone help man??

Bronze Member
Username: Dodgedifferent2

Windsor, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 96
stay away from monsters crap ... just paying for a name.

i picked up nanner plugs at radio shack for 1.99 a pair and i have tried the monster nanners ... i did not see a difference

Post Number: 10
So far this is what I have,
Wires
sub- EE-SUB5 5 M (EACH) 49.99
Speakers- EE-SWP4 4 M (PAIR) 99.99

thats from www.etherealhometheater.com. Is there a cheaper, but quality alternative? I have no Idea all the wires I need so if someone wouldnt mind posting every wire I need I'd really apprciate it. By the way I plan on having this done by September because I move into my first apartment in august.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
Good news, my friend said i start monday so this is gonna be done faster then I thought, i still need input on all the wires though, i dont know exactly what i need.

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 133
Andy, make a new thread, it is poor "netiquette" to hijack someone else's.

Bville, WV USA

Post Number: 7
the size gauge really doesn't matter if you think about it and know your electronics man! Do the equation's. Ohms law, etc

Silver Member

Canada

Post Number: 134
Almost right Andy, the gauge does matter depeding on the length of the cable run. Granted most mains/centres will only require 2 meters (give or take) but some rear channels as well as secondary rooms run off of one receiver, can get even up to 50 m+ (especially in-wall, which comes with its own set of standarised requirements).

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Can this be used as a reciever instead of the one i listed? HD. 150 Media Server?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us