JBL and Harman Kardon Speaker Systems ?

Username: Jakeman02

Post Number: 4
I've narrowed my speaker system options down to these based on reviews and staying below a $300 speaker budget. The only difference in these as far as specs are the SCS145.5 has a 8" 100W sub while the other JBL is 10" 150W and the HK is 10" 100W. Also the last two have an extra surround speaker that I probably won't use anyway so that doesn't really matter.

JBL Cinema Vision Home Theater Speaker System SCS145.5 $189.99 shipped
JBL Cinema Vision Home Theater Speaker System SCS180.6 $229.99 shipped
HARMAN KARDON 6.1 Home Theater Speaker System HKTS8 $259.99 shipped

Originally I was going for the Oknyo HT-S580 which I already have in one room and it's a great system IMO for a budget system. However while searching the net I found the Pioneer VSXD515K Rcvr for $125 less than the Oknyo HTIB. I figured I could use that savings, add a little extra and invest in a better speaker package while staying close to my original budget. I tried putting together a system myself and came up with a Yamaha system that totally blew my budget weighing in at $450 so that's out. Then I started pricing speaker packages and have narrowed it down to these. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with them and had a preference?.

This is going to be a around $100 or a little over depending on which I choose over the HTIB system, your thoughts on these speakers being better than the oem's that come with the HT-S580. Since I have it with oem speakers I'm thinking yea. Powered vs Passive sub and better surrounds. I can always put the best sounding system in my living room which is the biggest. I'm purchasing ths for a smaller bedroom, Aprox. 12x16.

Any thoughts on other speaker options at this price. I'm thinking not, I've searched countless hours to come up these three.

thanks, I'll be ordering next week, Monday or Tuesday, if I can make up my mind before then.

Bronze Member
Username: Bachatero07

Post Number: 94
i have the jbl 5.1 system you mentined above. love it and wouldnt trade it for anything else. harmon kardon is a great brand. but the best theatres use JBL speakers and subs. i prefer active subwoofers. takes the load off of the amp and depending how you have it connected, could be a lot less wiring. i find that the bass hits harder and goes lower with an active sub also.

Post Number: 5
Thanks for the input, was hopeing someone would have some experience with one of the JBL systems. I'll go for the 5.1 JBL system. It's got a slightly smaller sub and power rating 8" vs 10" and 100w vs 150w but it's also 50 bucks less. The receiver I'm getting is rated at 110 so it should work well with it. based one the Oknyo OEM system I already have. They do the job well with a 8" passive sub and this system should out preform them in all areas + free shipping...no way I could put a system together for that price without mixing brands and models, I've tried for a week grrrr. I agree with the passive vs active sub. I've always heard the difference in stores though, never owned one and it's hard to get a real sence of what it really sounds like in a store environment. I think my next project will be selling the sub on the oknyo unit and replacing it with an active. Yamaha's got a nice 8" sub for $89 that should work nicely or maybe I can catch a sale on a Dayton by then for the same price. Thanks again for the input.

Post Number: 6
Change in plans again. The JBL 6.1 system above has a different speaker package than the 5.1. I thought they were the same just 6 of them compaired to 5. The 6.1 has speakers with 2 cones and the 5.1 are 1 cone. I like the 2 coan design better so FINALLY i'm going for the 6.1 with the larger subwoofer, better satellite IMO and higher watt rating.

Username: Ascleanasitgets

KingstonCanada

Post Number: 1
"i have the jbl 5.1 system you mentined above. love it and wouldnt trade it for anything else. harmon kardon is a great brand. but the best theatres use JBL speakers and subs. i prefer active subwoofers. takes the load off of the amp and depending how you have it connected, could be a lot less wiring. i find that the bass hits harder and goes lower with an active sub also."- dennis McIntosh
sorry my friend but that comment is useless I love JBL thats what everything but my sub is I work at future shop but those HKTS speakers are by far a better sounding speaker

Post Number: 7
Great....a debate after and I just ordered the JBL's haha. Oh well, I'm sure I'll like them. One of the things that made my decision also is, I called both customer services. JBL talked to me for about 10 minutes anwered my questions, very nice. HK just blew me off. That probably means nothing but when narrowing it down to two simular systems as these, that sure helped me decide.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 910
If you don't have your expectations set too high, and that's all your budget calls for then the JBL 180 will work. Just remeber that it's not much more than PC speakers.

Post Number: 8
I don't have the budget for high expectations, which I did though. All I'm trying to do is get the best bang that my budget(above) will allow. One thing I do need to find out is if the sub driver is front or bottom. I'm pretty limited as to where I can put it so I want to stick to bottom. They won't even be there to process my order till monday so I've got time to canel and go for the HK.

Username: Ascleanasitgets

KingstonCanada

Post Number: 7
just so you know harmon manufacturs JBL check the label on the box when you get it it'll say harmon international right on it but for 70 bucks the harmons are your better bet you might be able to get the jbls to sound close with good speaker wire and a decent sub cable there goes your 70 bucks anyways.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us