Upgrade Question

Username: Jakeman02

Post Number: 1
Hello I purchased a Oknyo HT-S580 htib system about a month ago. It was my first entry into home theater and after reading many reviews I found it to be the best one to fit my needs so I got it along with 16ga wire, hooked it up and I was amazed. Needless to say I've got the Home Theater Bug now. I just wish I had the budget to go with it haha. Now I'm wanting to put a unit in my bedroom, watching tv in there isn't the same anymore. My first thought was to get a entry htib system, it's a small room 16x12 and I don't need anything to shake the walls, just clean tv,dvd, fm sound. Then I started thinking I might be able to purchase a seperate av/reciver and speaker system. Switch the speaker system with the Oknyo unit and upgrade the sound on the living room system. I've priced av receivers and have found some to fit my needs from Oknyo, Pioneer and Yamaha starting around $150, $99 refurbished but I'm not wild about geting refurbs over the net. My question is. What's the least I could spend on a 5.1 speaker system that wouold provide better sound than the OEM speakers that came with the Oknyo HT-S580? That will determine which way I'm going with this. Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 7230
Take a look at Fluance.com if you are looking for budget speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
I have no clue how that last post relates to my question but thanks for the reply anyway. Oh, I've already completed the system with a Pioneer Receiver and Athena Point 5 speakers. Anyway thanks for the replay and nice pic of that jackoff dude, whoever he is.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8023
James...how about a write up on your purchase?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Pioneer VSX-516 Receiver
Athena Point5 Speaker System
Athena ASP-4000 Subwoofer

This system is in a bedroom(mentioned above) so I wanted a budget system. I read many reviews on each component listed and all were well respected at their price point. The only componet I had a decision over was the sub. Both the Dayton Sub and Athena are the same price. Most said that the Athena was slightly better for music and the Dayton for HT. Since this system will be used alot for music I went with the Athena. I'm very impressed with it. IMO the point 5.s are the shining spot in this setup. I was very impressed for the price I paid. So much so, now the htib speakers on the other system that I though sounded good don't cut it anymore. So I'm replacing them with the Point5s and the sub with the Dayton. Will it ever end? haha. That system is used primarly for HT and I'm curious to see the difference in the subs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Anyone who would buy equipment from a streetpeddler, auction site or unauthorized dealer is going to get scammed sooner or later, that's life dude. I'm not saying what he did is right (if indeed he scammed you) but I am saying anyone with a brain should know better. Call it a life lesson and let it go dude, he's not worth it.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us