How much should I spend on my subwoofer?

Username: Flextone

Post Number: 1
Hey guys, I'm still kind of a virgin to this whole HT experience. My uncle upgraded his system a few years ago and gave me all his old stuff for Christmas. It's all probably 10+ years old: 2 Infinity IL10's (bookshelf speakers) for the front, 2 Infinity RS-1's for the rear, IL25c for the center, and an Infinity BU-1 sub. I splurged and spent around $300 a couple years ago for a JVC RX-6030VBK receiver. It's got 5.1 surround at 100 watts per channel. All put together, everything works OK other than the sub.

So now I want to buy a sub, but I'm wondering how much to spend. I've been researching and know that the holy trinity of PB-10, SF-2, and Mirage S-12 are the cheapest way to get "real bass". But with my dinky little system, would that much bass be too much? Or would I be better served by settling for the $125 Dayton, and wait until I can upgrade my speakers and receiver?

I've got a big room, probably around 1300 square feet, and I'm not sure a dinky sub is going to do much.

thanx
flextone
king of blackjack

Username: Jwilhite

Post Number: 5
Does the sub active or passive?

A dinky sub can work in such a large room. Usaly you can face the port about 4-5 feet from the wall and it should sound okay. But if you are wanting to spend money on a new sub that would fill a 1300 sqare foot room...a good choice to eather go with a 10" or 12" woofer for a large area. Let me know if this helps any.

Jon

Username: Jwilhite

Post Number: 6
Is the sub active or passive?

A dinky sub can work in such a large room. Usaly you can face the port about 4-5 feet from the wall and it should sound okay. But if you are wanting to spend money on a new sub that would fill a 1300 sqare foot room...a good choice to eather go with a 10" or 12" woofer for a large area. Let me know if this helps any.

Jon
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us