Home Theater Help!

I'm buying an Onkyo HT-S755DVC and I have a few more setup questions.

1) How do I experience Surround Sound if my TV doesn't have any digital outs?

2) How do I hook up a Digital Cable box to the receiver (Onkyo TX-SR600) to experience Surround Sound? I guess this is similar to the first question.

3) I've heard that Playstation 2 can be difficult to hook up to the receiver. Anymore thoughts on this?

I've added a page that discusses this in more detail here: http://www.mannequin3d.com/htsetup/

Thanks,
William

Anonymous
You need the following:

1. HDTV Television Set 36" or larger
2. A Pan and scan DVD player
3. A hi-Fi stereo VCR
4. A monster home theater surge suppressor
5. Monster cables and wires for everything
6. A dedicated 4 outlet wall outlet to plug
everything into.

This will get you maximum enjoyment out of your new system. Nothing less will do.

Visna Kuru
Pan and scan refers to movie mode of the film, not the type of DVD player. I think you mean progressive scan DVD player which the onkyo HT-s755dvc comes with a progressive scan dvd player. VCRs are outdated, especially for home theater entertainment; Monster products are over-rated; surge protect is good and so is a dedicated multi-plug outlet.

1 & 2) To experience surround sound from TV, simply get a cable/ satellite digital decoder/box and directly hook it up to the receiver using coax or optical cables.

3) Some people's PS2 hook up fine, others don't: it's the luck of the draw.

Anonymous
Hi Im trying to hook up my tv (doesnt have s-video) that has one video input and has audio in and audio out to my digital cable box to my vcr to my dvd player and My cd changer which has only audio in, and also get my ps2 in there, What is the best type of setup to where I dont have to keep taking out diff rca cables out of my tv and stereo everytime I want to play ps2 or Everytime I want to watch dvd or vcr movies.

Derek
Since you are not concerned about S-Video, buy an A/V Switcher from Radio Shack abd run its output to the single A/V input of your TV.

I would run the coax from the wall (the digital cable), through the cable box as you have it now. Run it's output (coax) through the VCR and then to the TV. You will still be able to hear cable in surround sound assuming you have enough speakers. For a better picture and dolby digital you must switch the TV to its Video input and use the switcher box I suggest.

A receiver would make this a whole lot easier. See my second long post in the "Home Video: DVD Players: DVD to VCR to TV to Stereo hook up" thread.

To the other posts: To hear surround sound all you need are Left and Right analog audio and three speakers; a Front Left and Front Right and a rear surround. Pro-logic I and II and Dolby digital are the ones that need more speakers.

Hope this helps

Hello All,

I have a receiver that supports 5 speakers (and a subwoofer). We had everything hooked up when we first purchased 4 years ago. For a while (last 3 years) we just used the fromt 3 speakers (L/R/Middle). We have moved into a larger space and I have tried to hookup the two rear speakers and they dont work. The speakers are fine, but for some reason there does not seem to be a signal to the rear speakers (the JBL JSR400 has a built in sound test that send a signal to each speaker one at a time)... Can anybody please email me any idea of what I'm doing wrong. As I said I know the speakers are OK, beacuse I swaped them all out through the front and they received the signal just fine. I'm at my wits end!

~Thanks, SeattleGould

I'm trying to hook up A PS2 through a vcr, but the vcr doesn't have a connection to the TV and when i do connect them both nothing works i've tried all plug combitnations possible for the vcr.. i;ve tried taking the Tv cable of the satellight reciever nad putting it in the vcr..... could someone plz help me!!! Preferrably Email

Anonymous
I'm looking at putting togther a Home theater system that will blow me away. I need help however.

I'm pretty much set on a samsung DLP TV, and the bose 16 6.1 speakers. my big problem is the reciver. Where can I learn about what the differnce is between DD 5.1,DD EX, THX, THX ULTRA, DTS, etc..

Whats a good "watts per channel" rating for a home theater system. ( Living room isn't very big, but I want a reciver that will work well in a large room also..plan on buying a new home)

What are good cables? Do I need the THX cables I've seen at Best Buy, or will normal monster cables work fine?

whats a good DVD player? I want something that will be as "future proof" as possiable, something that will look good on a 16:8 HDTV.

It all has to work with HDTV, as I plan on making this as all digital as possiable.

Thanks!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us