First surround sound purchase

Gblaze
Unregistered guest
ok, Ive been doing some research and have pretty much decided on a speaker set and have a few receivers in mind.

starting with the speakers I have:
Harman Kardon HKTS 14 6-Piece Loudspeaker System for $370.
Athena Micra-6 6-Piece Home Theater Speaker System for $350.
Polk Audio RM6800 5.1 Channel Home Theater Speaker System for $530.

receiver
Onkyo TX-SR702 for $560
Onkyo TX-SR703 for $800
(cant really see a difference between these two, save for the 702 being an older model, what caught my eye on these are they are THX select2)
ONKYO TX-SR603XS for $370

as you can see im trying to keep my budget around 1000, less if possible. But im also open to going a bit higher(up to 1500) if the purchase is really worth the money. I would like some honest opinions on all of the products listed above, and am also totally open to new suggestions. Im am totally new at this and my above picks are basically from friendly recomendations and some online research. Thanks in advance for any help.

PS: these will be set up in a very small room

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6738
I prefer the Athena or the Polk speakers over the HK speaker system. I think that it has more detail and punch over the HK speakers.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 797
Agreed. With more robust power, I would stick with one of the Onkyo 700's. The Onkyo TX-SR 702 is not rated for 4 or 6 Ohm loads, where the Onkyo TX-SR 703 is (along with XM Satellite radio). However, there should not be a problem with matching the 702 with mainstream speakers like Athena or Polk. It doesn't seem to me you are giving up much by buying last year's model.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us