HTIB or Use Old Speakers?

Hi,

I found this board as I try to make the decision on establishing a simple home theater system.

Currently, I have the stereo set-up I have had since college - 20-year old receiver, and a 15-year old set of speakers from DAK (OK, I am NOT an audiophile, and they work fine for me) consisting of 2 bookshelf speakers and a passive subwoofer. I don't have a DVD player, but want to add one.

Clearly the receiver won't do for a home theater, so I have to buy more than just a few speakers. Would it be better to get a good receiver and a DVD player, plus a front/center/left set, and use my existing speakers for the L/R rear and subwoofer for now, and replace them later? Is that even possible (the speakers have spring terminals).

Or, since I don't want to pay a lot anyway and am not an audiophile, get a HTIB and trash all the old stuff? The setup would go in our 14x18 family room. I suppose the Onkyo LSV-950 would be fine. So pay $800 for a good HTIB, or $800 on components?

Porcdoc
Go to your library and look up nov 2002 consumer
reports magazine. Good recommendations that cut
through the tech issues. I bought the separate
panasonic Sa-he100 rec. and used my old techniqes
3 way speakers and it sounds great!I bought a htib
recommended (for my son )and he is very happy with it .I believe it was the Pioneer htd-510dv.The cost htib was approx $230, my rec. was $228(it has all the best features and 600 watts of power.Bought both on line .

Anonymous
Dino, anything from DAK is s***, don't even bother. Start all over. And don't bother with consumer reports, they have not got a clue. None.

If you haven't got the bux to put together a good system, some of the box systems you see talked about here would be great - onkyo 650, denon 683.

If you have to use the old speakers, make sure they will work with the new receiver - look at the ohms on the label. Most are 8 or 6 ohms, most receveirs will work with them. But you are better off trashing the DAK crap.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us