Onkyo HT-650 LFE subwoofer problem diagnosis

TrickyLinda
Much has been written about this... I don't want to buy the AVIA disc for $30-$50, just to find out my receiver is defective. Does anybody have any other foolproof ways (specific DVD's I could buy/rent) to determine whether the sub works properly in Mode 3? Thanks!!

OnkyoOwner
You can rent Toy Story 2 or Ice Age --they have the THX optimizer test on their setup menu. Also, some other movies may as well.
Best Buy had a demo dvd disk for sale for 1 penny that has the optimizer test on it as well (I bought this)

Austin Crusoe
"Lilo & Stitch" also has the THX optimizer within the setup menu, and if I remember correctly, so does "Moulin Rouge".

AV-ophile
Star Wars AOTC also.

Anonymous
This is a wonderful receiver mated to very competent speakers and a terrific subwoofer. It's relatively easy to set up, and sounds terrific over all.

Unfortunately, some of these receivers seem to have a bug such that the Dolby Digital Low Frequency Effects channel (the ".1" of "5.1") is not output to the subwoofer. You might not notice because in the usual subwoofer mode, bass from the other channels is fed to the subwoofer, and sounds satisfactory if you don't know any better. But if you listen to the ship passing overhead in Attack of the Clones on one of the affected units after hearing it on a good Dolby 5.1 system, you'll know immediately that something's messed up. If you have not heard the scene on a system that outputs proper LFE, you might not notice.

Given that the system should probably sell for $800-1000 with 5.1 sound, you may decide that $500 for 5.0 is OK. Or you may get one without the bug. Who knows? I exchanged mine and got a second one with the bug.

This system should be sold as Dolby 5.0 and not 5.1 because it isn't.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us