Need help choosing home theater speakers for basement

Username: Zhasan

Post Number: 1
Hello Everyone,
I am in the process of constructing a home theater/entertainment zone in my basement and need some help with choosing my speakers. The speakers will be used for both Movies and listening to Music. The size of the room is 18/14 and I am hoping to setup a 7.1 system. The room is not enclosed as 1 side of the wall opens to the bar area and thus I had to put a pair of surround speakers in the ceiling. After trying out JBL, BOSE I have finally ended up with the following configuration.

By budget is about $14-1500

2 Bose 301 Front speakers $296
Bose VCS-10 center channel $179
JBL E250P subwoofer $229
2 JBL SP6 In-Wall Speaker $129 -- Back wall
2 JBL SP6C surround speakers in the ceiling $109 ( I couldn't put in the side as 1 side of the room is open)
ONKYO TX-SR603XS receiver - $375

What do you guys think?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6232
Have you tried anything else? What else is available?

Silver Member
Username: Gavincumm

New York USA

Post Number: 636
you would have done much better with a better speaker system, especially one from another company other than bose.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6233
You did state that you tried out Bose and JBL. Which one did you like better?

Post Number: 2
I tried the JBL E80 and the Klipsch Synergy Series. The JBL E80 was much louder but honestly the Bose 301 sounded mush crispier and detailed. The problem is beside Best buy and circuit city there are not too many places that I can go and try out more speakers and beside Best buy, circuit city only carries the traditional brands like JBL and Bose.
I am not firm with bose and willingly to try out other solutions, can you guys suggest a better line up including the surround speakers?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6255
You should get whatever sounds good to you.

truth-b-told
Unregistered guest
This is another Bose-Bash forum. If you like Bose (no reason not to like) you should go with it. It's people who can't afford bose always bashing them one way or another..
The truth is no-other company has come up with a product that sounds as good as bose and looks a good as bose.
Thumping Bass and Ear-hurting mid is NOT what makes the sound quality good; bose reproduces the original sound as it was designed to sound in the recording studio.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6301
The truth is no other company wants to make any product like bose.

And no, bose does not in any way, shape or form reproduce the original sound as it was designed in the recording studio.

Post Number: 3
How does this configuration sounds? Any thought?

Denon AVR-2106 Home Theater Receiver
Velodyne DLS-4000R 12" 200 Watt Powered
Polk Audio RC85i Pair 8" 2-Way In-Wall Speakers(Frnt)
Polk Audio RC65i Pair 6.5" 2-Way In-Wall speakers (Sur)

Gold Member

Post Number: 6377
Better.

But really, you have to listen for yourself and make a determination.

You'll never know, you might even like Bose.

Post Number: 4
I did listen to the polk audio in calling speakers at tweeter and they sounded awesome. I am not a sound expert but what I could tell is with a good subwoofer and receiver you get much better sound using a mix match system rather thn bose.
Here is what I am stuck at now, the in ceiling speakers sounded really good but is there an advantage doing it in ceiling over in-wall? Which one gives you better sound?
And between Boston Acoustics DSI450 / Polk Audio RC65i 2 which surround speaker would you recommend?

Bronze Member
Username: Delsole

Post Number: 50
any high quality dealers near u
i pesonaly hate bose for many reasons that im not gonna get into right now but check out energy speakers if u dont have any dealers near u i gurantee u will be satified if you order some or even paradigm speakers they have some lower end stuff that sounds awsome

ive compared energy with polk and the energy sounded much better. as of Boston Acoustics idk cuz ive never herd them befor

Post Number: 5
How is the PARADIGM SA-30 compare to Polk Audio RC85i? the only problem is i dont have any local dealer who carries PARADIGM here...
And where do you buy them? Please reply soon I am running out of time to meet const. deadline ...

Username: Zoheb

Post Number: 4
zia i think u should be really lookin @ 3 things.

1) what type of sound u want and which speakers most acheive it. (dosent matter which brand they are. my friend heard almost 5 to 6 big brands before ending up with a cerwin vega) haha coz it fit his budget and it sounded good to him
2) ur budget.
3) if u havent heard it.. dont buy it. last thing u want is a speaker which ur not happy with...

my advice is try n locate more dealers round ur area... go n audition the speakers . with ur own music or whatever... choose whichever ones u like.. coz no matter how much we advise its u who will listen to em.. and its most imp that u enjoy ur home theater .

Bronze Member
Username: Willieman

PR USA

Post Number: 19
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us