LG home theater??

Username: Jkpaulson

Post Number: 1
Does anyone know anything about the LG LHY-518 theater in a box? I can't find any reviews, I am wondering if it is new to the market.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7120037&type=product&id=1109234042 659

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 739
Don't know about this model, but mucho probs with an LG English system:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-theater/154962.html

Bronze Member
Username: Jethro

Lansing, Mi

Post Number: 38
i have that system in my bedroom, it sounds fine, its just not very durable. towers easily knocked over, had a problem with what seems to be a short in one of the amp sections of the combo receiver/dvd or maybe just the wiring. but i adjusted the system a bit, and as long as i don't touch it, hehe, its good to go. once u got ur so8und coming from all 5 speakers and ur sub, just leave the picky sob alone. sounds good, receiver/dvd combo makes loud noise while playin, like dvd is spinnin really friggin fast.

-jeff

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 6998
LG used to be a brand called Goldstar. Known for bargain electronics and other cheap stuff. They didn't last too long because of quality control issues. A name change did not change anything at all, I suppose.

Username: Atfree

Hendersonville, NC USA

I've had this system for about a month. Wonderful system. 1200 watts, DVD burner, VHS, radio tuner, and memory card reader all in one. Here's my take on the other posts: towers easily knocked over? No way, unless you're tag-team wrestling. I've got 2 kids, 3 cats, and a dog, and they haven't even come close to knocking them over. As for LG being Goldstar at one time, this is true. But I did a lot of research before I bought and LG has made great strides towards changing the way they do business. As for the different DVD formats, this unit, I believe, supports all current formats (DVD-R, DVD-RW, etc). I've burned both copies of old VHS tapes and shows saved on my TIVO unit, and it works flawlessly.

Finally, when I was doing my research on HTIB units, I got really sick of all the "audiophiles" on these forums knocking HTIB units continually. Yes, I'm sure you can piece together a component system that is of higher quality, but the average person (who makes up 90% of the consumers out there) are not going to take the time to research and then purchase all the different components. It's simply not convenient, nor can the average person really tell the difference between the sound quality. So, "audiophiles" why don't you either provide quality advice on all spectrums of home theater systems, rather than simply bashing HTIB units, most of which you've never even given a chance! Does "Car and Driver" or "Road and Track" ONLY review BMW's and Mercedes? NO! They OBJECTIVELY review all automobiles. They don't simply say 'The new Hyundai stinks because all Hyundai's stink' without even actually driving it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7661
1200 watts? You are deluding yourself!

Yes LG has indeed changed the way they do business if you actually believe that your system is pumping out 1200 watts.

Hendersonville, NC USA

Post Number: 2
Berny,

Not to cast accusations, but you're apparently one of the conceited "audiophiles" I referenced in my e-mail! The system is rated at 1200 watts, and the volume control goes to "40". I live in a 4000 sq ft house, and if I get it above "20", you can hear the roar 4 houses down the block! More than suitable for us ignorant non-audiophiles.

Gold Member

Post Number: 7665
Alex,
Cast all the accusations that you want. But indeed, your ignorance is very apparent if actually believe that your system is pumping out 1200 watts.

Hendersonville, NC USA

Post Number: 3
And why shouldn't I believe it?

Gold Member

Post Number: 7673
Here is what is written in the defintion of terms about your oh so wonderfully powerful 1200 watt system that you bought at Best Buy or maybe Circuit City(doesn't matter really).

Heck, I'll just cut and paste it for you:

"Total System Power The total amount of peak power an amplifier is capable of producing as a brief burst. For example, a system that is capable of producing 100 watts of peak power for each of the 6 speaker outputs would have a total system power rating of 600 watts. "Total System Power" is usually not as helpful a measurement as "RMS Power", which measures the amount of continuous power that an amplifier produces."

Do you want me to translate it for you?

Your 1200 watts of system power is designed to impress ignorants like yourself. Is it okay if I use that...after all you did describe yourself as such? The power is peak output burst and that term has never been defined in any standard, but it is most often used by adding together the rated burst output of all the channels in a system together. Simply put, your precious system has been rated to dole out a maximum burst of 180 watts per channel. What LG did, towards making "great strides in the way they do business", was add all of those outputs together and came up with 1200 watts. Nothing illegal about that claim, however misleading it can be. Do you know what a peak burst is? It means that it does not last too long. It could last for a few seconds, even less. The trouble with these type of reading is that you can manipulate the result to show a higher power rating than the system can actually sustain. They can actually write just the measurement when there was that one instant that the output reached that rating. They were not lying when they claimed 180 watts, they just don't tell you that the system really cannot maintain that. You have to be smart enough to deduce that on your own. Or maybe, they were counting on the average consumer not to take the time to do their research. One reason why so many consumers get suckered, such as yourself, is because they chose to remain ignorant and did not take the time to educate themselves and do said research. I doubt however, that it is about 90%. I think you under estimate a lot of consumers or did you just come up with that number?

Don't get mad now....these things were not meant to mislead you, they were just counting on you not do your research, even though you made claims to the contrary. Obviously you were impressed by their claims by the way you proclaim your system to rock 4 houses down. Hmm, they don't happen to be doll houses, are they?

You really should start reading the fine print, it is very apparent that you're a sucker.

Oh and I have never made a claim to be an "audiophile". I just do more research than you did:-)

You really shouldn't burst on this scene like a total noobie coming in with nothing more than an impassioned "accusations" and getting sick of all the audiophiles who are knocking HTIBs continually. If you take the time to do research, you will find that most of us here try to steer them from products that may have potential problems. Some of us have learned from our mistakes and most of us started with simple systems and usually not that great because it was all we could afford at the time. Some benefit from our experience and hopefully not make the same mistakes that we did, and some take it the wrong way and start flailing angrily because they think we knock their system down. This is what these forums are for. You ask...we try to answer, and sometimes people don't like the answers, such is life. If you cannot handle such things, that's too bad, life goes on, and you just get sick.

Username: Primus2112

Post Number: 7
Wow Berny! Awesome response! Not to dis Alex but just all the info that electronic companies mislead us with marketing I guess.

Anyways I think overall LG Electronics is kind a shabby... My brother had a DVD player a year ago and we had to return it and they sent a newer model witch conked out too. I read an article about 6 months ago on there expansion and I am not sure how they are doing that... washers dryers refridgerators etc etc... maybe some day Pioneer, Infinity or maybe even Bose will come out with some microwaves and fridges too!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7902
I love trolls like Alex...they make things so much livelier:-) Dis away, Rob, I doubt that he had respect in mind when he came trolling in.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 906
How about a Mark Levinson toaster?

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 7914
Gotta love that power cord:-)

Username: Primus2112

Post Number: 8
LMAO!!!

Gold Member

Post Number: 7941
He sells LG equipment or the Mark Levinson toaster?

Username: Jav1204

Chihuahua, Chihuahua Mexico

The conversational audio is not working properly into the LG dvd home theater, the background audio is fine but not the other one, what can I do to fix this problem up?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us