New AV Receiver & Speakers

Username: Mike38

Post Number: 1
Looking for some help. I purchased a 52inch HDTV a couple of years ago. Now I want to install a surround sound system.

I've been looking at the Denon AVR-3805, and AVR 3806. For speakers the front floor Definitive Technology BP7006 model. Need to upgrade my JVC progressive scan DVD player in the future also.

What do you think? Good combo? Do I really have to spend 3,000 bucks?

I just want a great sounding system for movies and once in a while enjoy some music, too.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 756
The answer to that is up to you. You don't need to spend that much just to get surround sound for your movie watching. However to get good sound quality for HT and music combined you may not be spending enough. It all depends on how much you enjoy good sound.

Also take a look at the refurbished Denon items. They just had a 3805 at ecost.com for around $580. That's a good price. If you want the HDMI connection though you would have to pay more for a 3806.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5824
That's a nice roudn budget for your equipment, but as Stof said, you don't have to spend that much. But if you can...why not?:-) I would however, drive the Definitive technology speakers with Outlaw Audio equipment. They really play well together.

Username: Mike38

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the feedback guys! I went with the denon 3805 and the Def Tech speakers and it sounds great! Lots of power without the need to crank up the volume. Def Tech has the sub inside the towers and it sounds better than I thought it would.
I spent just over $2,000 (without a new DVD player). That's a little more than I wanted to spend and a lot more than my wife wanted to spend. She would have bought surround sound in a box if it was up to her. She is out of town and hasn't heard it yet, but she'll be impressed.

Silver Member

Post Number: 768
When I put together our first HT system my wife complained about the costs too. Once she heard it though she was impressed. However just to get back at me she has been threatening to have a dance party at our place Arrrgh..

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5892
A dance party sounds like an excuse to get more audio equipment:-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 769
Yes unfortunately our living room didn't get much bigger. So I don't even know where to put the stuff. A new living room or a house with basement should be next.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us