Audio Problems With New Sony Home Theater

Username: Starbuck1105

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone. I'm hoping that maybe someone here can help me out.

I bought my first ever home theater system today, a Sony Home Theatre DAV-DX150, and it works wonderfully... with one exception.

(Oh, just to clarify, the home theater is a DVD player/receiver combo with five speakers and a subwoofer.)

For some reason, I cannot get audio from "regular" tv to play through the speakers of the Home Theater. The audio from DVDs works, as does the audio from the AM and FM tuners. But when I switch over to video/sat, I cannot get any audio from tv stations, etc...

Here is my configuation, per the instructions that came with the Home Theatre ---

1) Coax cable runs from cable box/DVR directly to the tv.
2) Red and white audio cables run from the cable box/DVR to the Home Theater.
3) A yellow Video cable runs from the Home Theater to the tv.

My tv is an older model Panasonic, approximately 10-15 years old. It has only three ports --- a coax input, a yellow port and a white port. I previously used the yellow and white ports as inputs for my Xbox (which is currently not plugged into anything... at least until I get things figured out with the audio on the Home Theater system).

Am I missing something here? Any help/advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Bronze Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 64
Ok you look fine , but exactly what input are the red and white plugged into on the back of the receiver. Double check to make sure they are pushed all the way on. If you are plugged into the video/sat input try anther input and selected that input on the receiver to see if you can get any sound. IF you still can not get any sound you may have a defective unit.

Post Number: 2
Casey, thanks for the quick response. I'm not sure what it is that you are asking.

Since I'm not so good at describing the problem verbally, I've posted a few pictures online showing the back of the cable box and the back of the DVD player.

I did have the red & white cables running from OUT 2 on the cable box to the VIDEO/SAT inputs on the back of the Home Theater.

http://www.symbioticmedia.com/dvd1.jpg

http://www.symbioticmedia.com/dvd2.jpg

http://www.symbioticmedia.com/cablebox.jpg

Post Number: 3
I just found a note in small point type in the instruction manual for the home theatre system. It says "If your TV does not have AUDIO OUT jacks you cannot output the tv sound from the speakers of this system."

So I'm assuming that it's not going to be at all possible to run audio from the tv to the DVD receiver. I would have thought that I could have run the audio from the DVR/cable box to the DVD receiver, but this doesn't appear to be the case either.

Any chance this might work....

1) Run coax into cable box/DVR ONLY
2) Run red & white audio cables from cable box/DVR to the DVD receiver
3) Run yellow video cable from cable box to tv
4) Run S-video cable from DVR to DVD receiver

????

If not, I guess I'm going to have to buy a new tv (if I want to be able to watch regular tv with the enhanced audio that my home theater provides). This sucks.

Bronze Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 65
Nice pictures but, I don't see your audio wires hooked up in these pictures. You only have one audio input Video/sat, this should work with your cable box audio out. Try out one on the cable box to the DVD reciever.S-video is an out souce for the DVD to TV along with the yellow composite out put.S-video cable from DVR to DVD is doing nothing your using an out to an out.You may not need a new TV just a new DVD stereo system this one is a piece of crap.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us