Home Theater Upgrade Question

Jeff P
I currently own a Yamaha RX-V590 receiver and the Bose Acoustimass 10 (5-speaker) system. I am unhappy with the sound quality of DVDs; the sound just doesn't seem "full" and I don't feel the surround aspects of the movies. I'm looking to upgrade my system in stages. I'd like to keep the total upgrade under $1000 if possible.

My two thoughts are that the RX-V590 does not support Dolby Digital (only ProLogic), and the Bose system does not have a powered subwoofer. What would you recommend to get the most bang for my buck first... new receiver, subwoofer, something else, or am I hopeless?

Anonymous
Scrap the bose... they are great for people who do not know quality sound reporduction and just like clean clear music. If you want a full tru sound you are going to have to dump them. You can fins some good deals out there if you look... wharfedale has a high quality low cost line that will do the job. Although you do not have dolby digital with your current receiver it will sound alot better with some differnet speakers. Keeping the speakers and ditching your receiver will not work and just adding the sub will not take away the hollow tin sound of the bose. good luck

Porcdoc
Check out the Nov.2002 consumer report. It suggests The Panasonic SA-HE100 surround amp/
receiver. I bought one and it has just about
everything +600 watts to power what ever you have.
I bought mine for $228 on line! They also recommend the Bose acostimass 6 series 11(2) 6
piece speaker set approx. $500.to play it on.
As soon as I can see the money I,am getting
a set. Hope this helps. PS I like to get recommendations on anything before buying especially from an outfit that tests like
consumer doe's.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us