Building House - need help with wiring

Username: Tmr187

USA

Post Number: 1
I am building a new living room addition on my house and would like to only have the TV and center speaker on the wall. I am planning on having all of my components in the next room(office)about 40' away. I have ran speaker wire from the office to the locations of speakers in ceiling and walls as well as to a center speaker location above the TV. I plan on running a bunch(8)of rg-6 quad shield coax from the office to the TV as well as Co-ax feed from the cable co.to the TV and another to the office. I have no components and no tv yet for this space so i'm not sure what plugs I will have. The drywaller is comming in 2 weeks and I feel like i may need something else......HELP

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 717
Why do you only want the center speaker with the TV? Where are your other speakers going?

If your HT equipment is going in the other room will your remote signals still reach the equipment there?

What is in the office to TV that needs coax?

USA

Post Number: 2
Thanks,
front speakers are on same wall as TV facing couch, rears are in ceiling above and slightly behind couch and sub(s) are to the sides of couch.
I ran all of the coax for a dvd to the TV.(1),from the computer to the TV(1), and others for use as RCA connectors as needed. As far as the signals from the remote goes lets hope so. I plan on getting digital cable instead of satellite and i plan on getting a tv that has the cable card..no box.?. The area where the components will go is right next to double doors into the office and it is a straight shot from the couch.

Silver Member

Post Number: 727
It's hard to picture this. Use paintbursh and do an outline and attach it to your message. Perhaps we can give you better help.

USA

Post Number: 3
Here is a rough scetch of what is going on. I hope this helps. My questions are basically do I need to run a RGB or HDMI cable from room to room in order to have high def from a DVD player in the office? If so is there anyway I can make this cable at home or do I need to purchase a 55' cable from somewhere? I have one week before drywaller comes to close up walls.
image/bmpUpload
lv room.bmp (97.1 k)

Silver Member

Post Number: 736
This is tough. There is nothing better than HDMI connection for high resolution. A 55' cable will cost you an aweful lot, and no you can't (or most people can't) build one yourself.

Is there no way to leave the A/V equipment next to the TV there?

USA

Post Number: 4
Not while keeping my wife happy!! Thanks for your help. I guess I will start looking for a long HDMI cable.

Username: Neilk2350

New york, NY United States

Post Number: 6
dude:

hdmi is very fussy. first make sure all your equipment can handshake at close range. you are taking a risk if you only run hdmi

USA

Post Number: 5
Mr. Kraft, I am open to suggestions for another couple of days until walls are closed up ---- your input is appreciated.
Also I just found this info can someone look at this link and give me an opinion...http://www.pacificcable.com/Picture_Page.asp?DataName=9870

Bronze Member
Username: Mvanmeter

KY USA

Post Number: 14
if you are going to feed your HDTV with component cabling, 100 foot component cable sets are $40. A 100 ft. HDMI cable is $270. (Source: MCM Electronics www.mcminone.com )

If all else fails, run 2" PVC conduit from one room to the other and put several pull strings in it. That way when the unexpected comes up you already have a defined path for extra wiring. Terminate the conduit with a 4" deep box and blank cover plate.

I don't believe you will like the placement of your subwoofer, if that is the large square behind the couch. Although the "experts" say bass is non-directional, you will definitely hear it "behind" you while listening and that will become dis-concerting over time.

Username: Neilk2350

New york, NY United States

Post Number: 8
are you guys sure you can run HDMI that long? i seem to remember reading it has a length limit.

erich the component video wont be the best quality, i agree with martin and wish i'd run pvc in my setup. i put in only HDMI and then found out my reciever GUI wont show up over HDMI. so whenever i want to use the GUI i have to run an RCA cable out a window in a door and into the side of my amp

USA

Post Number: 6
GUI?? I have enough coax ran already to make the component cables I just wanted to try and have the best while the walls are open. When you start talking compatibility I think there is going to be a whole bunch of pull string in my walls. Has anyone checked out the link I left above regarding the CAT5 network for video.?

Silver Member

Post Number: 746
"are you guys sure you can run HDMI that long? i seem to remember reading it has a length limit. "

Since it's digital streams going through there should be a high limit on the length of the cable.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us