Help with new system (clueless)

doho95fu
Unregistered guest
I know the protocol is to search the forum first, and I have tried. Problem is, I am such a newbie I am not sure I can even find the answer I am looking for. A friend recommended I try here.

I am in the process of finishing an attic and I want to set up a system. The question comes in here:

Are home theatre systems also used for audio purposes? I.e. are they designed to provide both audio (plain old music listening) and video (movies, TV) at equal levels or does any system generally lends itself towards one or the other specialty?

I want a good surround sound system and even more so I want a great music listening experience.

Assuming one system can be done, I would like to build the system over time as the money rolls in. Could someone please tell what I would need and what order I would go in (literally a list of every component, I have no clue). I have no favorite components because I have no expertise. Let me know what you think is best. I already have a TV, 27inch hd lcd. I have an ONKYO DVD, and a nine yr old Pioneer receiver. Outside of the TV, I would like to start fresh.

The room, in total is about 35 feet long and 12-15 wide, with lower ceiling which slope towards the edges. Picture an attic for a large colonial house. The entire space will open, but the area for this will be 1/2 of the entire space.

My budget is open, of course I want a solid system, but in total no more than 2K I guess. However, I would love to hear what the more expensive stuff adds.

Thanks.

Username: Gbank

Post Number: 1
How high on the wall should I mount a 50 inch plasma?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5099
"Are home theatre systems also used for audio purposes?"

Of course they are, but other people seem to think not, but there are units that do not sound as well in stereo the way 2 channel dedicated units would be. But debating on this is futile as there many points of view. This goes the same for your question of the "best"...very subjective.

I would start with a decent receiver and a set of speakers. Upgrading is much more expensive than getting one that is well made now.

I like the components made by Outlaw Audio. Check out the Model 1070 receiver (don't bother comparing receivers through wattage, by the way).

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/1070.html

For speakers look at the Athena Line up.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/mfglisting.asp?MFGID=218&hdnMfg=Athena%20Techn ologies&Page=2

You may also want to look at the Axiom line

http://www.axiomaudio.com/epicmidi_main.html

I have used these component and they should serve you well, but as far as you liking them is another story. Your preferences will be different from mine:-)

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 5100
Glenn,
You really should start your own thread instead of hijacking this one.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us