Strange overscan _within_ an IE window on a plasma ??

Username: Kaneda

Post Number: 1
Hello everyone,

I have been looking through different forums but couldn't find any similar problem, or maybe I misunderstood some basics.

I am trying to connect a PC with a ATI FireGL V7100 to a Pioneer PDP-506HD Plasma screen (Japanese model), which highest resolution is 1280x720. The connection is a DVI-to-HDMI cable from the secondary output of the ATI card, whereas the first one is connected to a standard LCD. The "display mode" is 720i.
This whole setup is actually intended for a specific application, in which on a primary, small LCD display certain control functions are accessible whereas the plasma screen is the secondary display and supposed to show one single Internet Explorer window (with the exact size of 1280x720 to make it fullscreen, it's not resizable).

The seconday display (the plasma) is set in WinXP to 1280x720 at 60 Mgz.

Of course there is an overscan (parts of the borderframe of the IE are missing) but that doesn't matter so much. The strange problem is, that INSIDE the IE window, parts of the image are missing as well!
If I launch this application only on the LCD (with a 1280x1024) resolution, its all fine and all the content of the window is actually in the window. As soon as I connect the plasma again and watch second IE window on the plasma screen (it goes there automatically), parts of the second IE window are missing again. The window size in this application is fixed though, and scrollbars do not appear.

This cannot be an overscan problem, can it (since affecting the inside of an IE window and not its overall size)?
Neither does it look like a software problem, since it works on the LCD alone fine. But if I lower the LCD resolution (lets say 1024x768), the second window gets to big but drawn fullscreen, but everything that doesn't fit on the LCD is cut off. Not scrollable or simply out of the frame so could access it, but the content in the window is just missing. So somehow the maximum resolution affects the maximum size of this window and how its content gets displayed.
Here comes another catch: If I connect through a VGA/RGB cable to the receiver of the plasma (via an DVI-VGA adapter) I cannot select the resolution 1280x720 anymore. But if I select 1280x768 (which is actually bigger than the displays highest possible resolution), it all works perfect. No overscan on the window borders, and the content of the window is also fully visible. Sadly though, the image quality suffers a little. And since the whole point of this window is the visualisation of 3D data it's not a very good solution (not to mention a clean one)...

Sadly, the receiver of the plasma does not contain DVI input (its not a professional model, not my buy-decision), so I had to use the DVI-HDMI cable. Maybe its because of the cheap cable?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

PS: Yes I know this is not a HTPC, but the problem is about the connection of a plasma to a PC, so I thought this would be the right place...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us