Yamaha or onkyo

Anonymous
Looking for a a/v receiver with output no more than 75 watts. Any recomendations? Two that I am considereing are the Yamaha HTR-5540 and the Onkyo TX-SR500 which one or should I be looking at another? Thnaks

po
Get the Yamaha, they have a better rep for sound quality.

Dave
I have the Yamaha 5550 and I love it! Btw the 5550 will decode 6.1 with 5.1 speakers.

What about the Yamaha HTR 5250?

Has anybody auditioned it or owned one?
How would you rate it?

I'm planning to buy one this week.

Please help

Anonymous
I need the 5560 because I also want to power my porch, the other models do not have A/B speaker switching capabilitys. I listened to the ONkyo and the Yamaha and I think the Yamaha sounded better. It was a bit difficult because they were not at the same store. Still not convinced that I should not take the savings on the Onkyo and put it into speakers. Thant brings up another interesting question any speaker refomendations? I need a center and the fronts. Also a base speaker I suppose.

Anonymous
This is a wonderful receiver mated to very competent speakers and a terrific subwoofer. It's relatively easy to set up, and sounds terrific over all.

Unfortunately, some of these receivers seem to have a bug such that the Dolby Digital Low Frequency Effects channel (the ".1" of "5.1") is not output to the subwoofer. You might not notice because in the usual subwoofer mode, bass from the other channels is fed to the subwoofer, and sounds satisfactory if you don't know any better. But if you listen to the ship passing overhead in Attack of the Clones on one of the affected units after hearing it on a good Dolby 5.1 system, you'll know immediately that something's messed up. If you have not heard the scene on a system that outputs proper LFE, you might not notice.

Given that the system should probably sell for $800-1000 with 5.1 sound, you may decide that $500 for 5.0 is OK. Or you may get one without the bug. Who knows? I exchanged mine and got a second one with the bug.

This system should be sold as Dolby 5.0 and not 5.1 because it isn't.

Anonymous
Thanks, never saw a posting of the yamaha with the bug. Which speakers did you match it up with?
Thanks
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us