Set-up Question

Username: Tataynik

Post Number: 1
I have a Toshiba 53hm85, Yamaha HTR5840, Sony DVD (w/ HDMI) and a non-HD satellite receiver. The satellite box has S/PDIF and Red/Yel/Wht RCA connections. How can I connect these units so that I can watch satellite using the TV speakers (most of the time) and watch movies using the receiver when for better (dolby) sound. Right now I have the Satellite connected directly to the TV using the RCA connections. I have also tried connecting the satellite box to the receiver, and it works too. What I need is a connection to the receiver that would still allow me to watch using just the TV speakers. Any help would be appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 615
Tataynik,
Since your Yamaha receiver has only one coax (S/PDIF) input, I would connect the sat box's output to that. That way, you can watch the sat signal and hear any digital (DD 2.0 or DD 5.1) audio into your external audio system. By using the RCA connections into the TV, you can still use the TV's speakers, if you choose.

Your Sony DVD player no doubt has both optical and coax digital audio outputs. You should use an optical (Toslink) cable to one of the two optical inputs on your Yamaha. There may be some setup programming required on the receiver so that it will recognize those two incoming digital audio signals on the inputs of your choice. Consult the Yamaha owners manual on this procedure.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us