Help!!!!!! Should I still get the Onkyo 650

Anonymous
After reading the posts about the LFE problem with the Onkyo 650 I am having second thoughts about purchasing one. I have read the earlier reviews here and on cnet and the HT 650 seemed like the best system under $500. PLEASE ADVISE, if anyone has any input on this matter, or if you have the 650 and you are having this problem do you still recommend it? Are there other systems that do not have this problem that someone recommends? Please help, I am new to this! Thanks

Anonymous
Does anyone think the Kenwood 505 system is a better option now, considering the LFE problem with the Only 650?

Anonymous
i would still reccommend this system. the only problem is the lfe wont work in dolby digital mode. but i find myself using dts mode mostly while watching movies, and the lfe works fine during dts mode.

Anonymous
I have the 650 and, even without the lfe signal, it is heads and shoulders above the Kenwood. My system seems to have the lfe problem and Onkyo has been contacted. For those of you who are buying, listen to both before buying. The kenwood may be able to reproduce the lfe signal, but what it produces still sounds like crap. The 650 produces superb sound with the subwoofer in "mode 1," whether or not the lfe is truly produced. (In that mode, the sub makes my couch vibrate in LOTR.) The problem remains, however, that the 650 is a "5.1" system that may have problems with the ".1". As a result, even though I am thrilled with the 650, I can no longer recommend it until this problem gets fixed. That does not make the kenwood a viable alternative. I was prepared to do without and save up to get separate components when I thought the Kenwood was the best HTIB out there. Listen before you buy.

John Raymond
I have bought two of the 650s (one for my son-in-law) and am happy with both,even if you use mode 1 it is the best sounding system for the money. I would recommend though you buy it locally if possible at CC just in case. They have a very liberal return policy

Grimace
I say, don't buy the HTS650 because of the known LFE problem. Onkyo is banking on the fact that people might think it still sounds good and will buy it anyway. Onkyo is hoping people are too stupid to know the difference. I say, don't even consider getting this system unless Onkyo addresses the widespread LFE problem and issue a product recall/replacement for the many that have already purchased this system.

The HTS650 is advertised as a 5.1 system. If the LFE does not work, you are not getting a 5.1 system, so in effect Onkyo is false advertising.

HT Buyer
Grimace or anyone else---

Please suggest a good sounding alternative to the Onkyo HT S650 for the same price <$500???

THANKS!

$$
unfortunately there isn't a better sounding all-in-one system for the money .. you'll have to spend more $$ .. alot more

Pezcore
Test before you buy. Not all of the Onkyo HTS650 have the LFE bug. I did many tests and have finally come to the conclusion that mine does not have this bug. Thanks for everyones help from this board.

po
I have the 650 and the LFE is fine. All sub modes sounds great. No weirdness.

Grimace
Well, a lot of people will say that they don't have the LFE problem with their HTS 650, but just as many can say that they do have the LFE problem. The defect is subtle so it's hard for people to notice. That's what Onkyo is hoping for. But once you know you have the LFE problem, it becomes glaringly evident.

In the end, you can still purchase the HTS 650, but you'll have to roll the dice and see what you get when you open the box at home. Don't think that the Circuit City guys will let you open every box, testing every HTS 650 system at the store until you find one without the defect.

Anonymous
Does anyone know if the Onkyo receivers that have the LFE problem possess a certain range of serial numbers or have a similar manufacture/production date??
Maybe we can find a pattern here.

Anonymous
The ht-s650 has been recommended as a good combination of receiver and speakers. The idea is that the speakers are not the tiny ones you find in most htib and thus perform better (note that they are just ok; there have shortcuts in their design, eg. low sensistivity).

In any case, on paper and after a simple audition it's a pretty good system. I would have purchased it if not for the lfe issue. What should one do? First, keep in mind that this problem is related only to the receiver.

Therefore, I would recommend trying to find the speaker package separately ($200-300) and adding a different receiver at a good price around ($200-400) like the TX-SR600, denon 1403, 1603, H/K 125, 225, pioneer 811 etc. Also looking at pioneer htib would not hurt.

Remember the goal is good ht around $500. If the other HTIB do not sound as good for non LFE demanding material, they should also be eliminated because they would sound worse for more material than an onkyo receiver having the lfe issue (examples: video tapes with pl2, dd 2.0, many types of music etc.). Using dts is NOT an option. Not all dd 5.1 DVDs are also dts.

Current/prospective owners should call Onkyo and have a serious discussin with someone about this. If they can offer a fix then go for the onkyo, but do not let anyone from Onkyo convince you that this not an issue. The most logical upgrade when you outgrow it will be the speakers and not the receiver so you don't want to be stuck with something that is flawed.

I would pay more in order to have peace of mind and not feel like a sucker that had been forwarned. If I had purchased this system before finding out about the lfe issue I would have returned it or tried to get Onkyo to exchange the receiver with the TX-SR600 paying a nominal sum and perhaps got the surround back speaker to make it a 6.1 system. I don't think you can return just the receiver when you buy it as a system.

Anonymous
The Sony DDW840 is $325.00, you can use the stock wires, it is trouble free and gives Onkyo a real run for the money.
By the way Onkyo raised the price on the HT-S650 to $549.00 the first of the year.

Anonymous
Absolutely not. It is a faulty system and is not only undependable but also short lived if it is used very often. I would go with the Kenwood HTB-505 or the Sony that is mentioned throughout the board. Plus you will need to spend another $100.00 for new wires, cables, etc.

Despite all the postings the HT-S650 is a $500.00 dud.

Anonymous
Onkyo had to know about the problems with the HT-S650 through their quality control checks but chose to push it off on unsuspecting buyers anyway which to me is money grubbing and showing no respect for their customers.

Anonymous
I would not advise anyone to spend $500.00 + on a product (Onkyo HT-S650) that the maufacturer knew from the getgo was defective but like Firestone and Ford did not do anything about it.

Anonymous
Sounds like you guys are in denial.

Anonymous
NO! NO! NO! Not until the defects are corrected.

Anonymous
Just wait for a month or two until the problem is corrected. Onkyo supposes to correct the defective units in a few weeks when the IC chips arrive from Japan. See if Onkyo make good at their promises of fixing the defective units by checking ONkyousa.com under FAQ in the next 2-3 weeks. They have to fix them after all it makes good business sense to protect the reputation of your products or else may face class lawsuits and loss of business goodwill. I think it's a great system and great value for under $500.

Anonymous
The new ones will be fixed in their June run but customers are stuck with all others.

Anonymous
I e-mailed Onkyo 3 days ago on the LFE problem, here is their reply today; As I indicated in the above post that it only makes business sense to fix their products and protect their reputation.

Thank You for contacting Onkyo USA Product Support.
The problem has been resolved and we are advising customers to take the
unit into a local service center that will do the repair of the unit. Make
a copy of the receipt so that the service center knows that unit is under
warranty.
Again, thank you for contacting Onkyo USA Product Support,
if you need further Assistance feel free to call us at 800-229-1687.

Anonymous
Onkyo HT-S650 is worth $350.00 max with the known defects:

1. Sound quality
2. Receivers melt
3. Useless wire and cable included

Anonymous
It's nice that you recive a reply from Onkyo a year after the defect became known.

OnkyoOwner
I spoke to an Onkyo customer service rep today & told her I had the LFE problem. She was very nice & told me to take the unit in to a local repair shop along with my sales receipt. She asked where I lived & looked up several shops & I picked the closest one.
I plan to check with the shop first to make sure they have the part & see how long they will need to keep the unit. I don't want to be w/o it for too long-or will plan to bring it in when I am going out of town. Excellent Service from Onkyo.

Anonymous
I have the Onkyo 650, just got the lfe fix done this week. While even WITH the lfe problem it sounded better than any other HTIB in its price range or below, I'm not sure I could recommend buying one now before we knew the systems on the shelf did not have the problem. The fix takes less than a day, IF they have the part, and if the Service Center isn't too far away. BTW, this defect surfaced in Dec/Jan, not "over a year ago." Like the other Onkyo bashing, it just sounds like some frustrated Kenwood owner. :) Oh, he/she is right about the stock wire - get 16 gauge from Home depot. About $20 worth should wire you up nicely. I don't think that should enter into the buying decision, though. Listen to each system yourself.

meek
if you buy this system for 500, already understanding the lfe defect, then youre a sucker, theres one born every minute,

get a working reciever and the speaker set if youre dead on getting onkyo speakers. you can find the speakers for 200 if you look around, but even then, i dont consider these speakers very good, limited frequency range, and very low sensitivity, with questional build quality.
its a gamble, its your money,

i once owned the 650 but returned it, i was pretty disgusted by the whole ordeal and CC pretty much gave me a difficult time about exchanging the onkyo system for a good one, since they didnt believe me about the lfe bug.

so i just went ahead and got a refund, and used the refund to buy the kenwood 6070, and ill be buying speakers seperately.

Anonymous
Has anyone attempted to buy one refurbished?? The price folks are quoting is very close to the Onkyo refurb price so I was suprised if you could be new for that?

What is the LFE problem and how do you know if you have it or not?

duckie201
what does LFE stand for?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us