TV to Receiver Using Optical Only (All Components hooked to TV)?

Username: Macabra11

Boise, ID

Post Number: 1
OK, I am very confused and new to home theatre setup. I have a Samsung SlimFit HDTV that has my upconvert HDMI DVD player, Dish Satellite and PS2 connected directly into it. I just got an Onkyo HT-S780 7.1 sound system, and I want to use it for all of my components that are connected to my tv. I connected an optical audio cable out from my tv to the 2nd optical port on my receiver (this is the only thing I have plugged into the receiver). I was told that I could just use all the connections on my tv (it has alot) for components and then only route the optical audio out to the receiver. I CANT GET IT TO WORK! The output audio on my tv is set to Dolby (and I cant seem to get any other selection). I dont know what source my receiver should be set to though (because there are no video connections to the receiver). SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!! Email me with any input you may have.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 642
You need to make sure you are switching to that audio port when you use your receiver. I'm not sure about the Onkyo menu, but there should be audio and video switching. So just switch to the port that you have your TV hooked into when you turn on your receiver. Also make sure that your receiver knows you are using the Optical port, because you may have the option of optical or regular analogue RCA connection for the same port.

MrEdCan
Unregistered guest
Look at the front of the Onkyo receiver. you tell it what you are watching and then you tell it the audio source. You need to match the two.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us