Will this unshielded speaker damage my TV

Matt Matcuk
Unregistered guest
I am trying to figure out
a) if I will need to magnetically shield the speaker I am planning to buy and use as a center channel (it's a Boston Acoustics A70), and
b) if I do need to shield this speaker, how I should do so.

Here are the details.
1. I have a 32-inch CRT TV (JVC, recent model) in my lovely pressed-wood home entertainment center.
2. On a shelf directly above the TV are two other audio components (VCR and audio cassette deck)--might these act as a shield?
3. Above this, on top of said lovely pressed-wood home entertainment center, sits my receiver (Yamaha HTR 5730, 100 watts). Will this act as more "shielding" or am I kidding myself?

The only place that I have to mount my center channel speaker is above all this equipment, on the wall. If I do this, the bottom edge of the speaker will be about 18" away from the top of the television, but... in between the speaker and the TV will be all the components described above, plus two 1" thick lovely pressed-board shelves.

I really would like to go with the Boston A70 as my center, despite the fact that it is bulky and unshielded, because I love the sound of the old Boston A series, and want to match it with my other Boston speakers. But I'm a little worried: will this damage my television? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4712
Some reading material

http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_audiofaq4.html#AUDIOFAQ_008

http://www.dansdata.com/danletters009.htm

Matt Matcuk
Unregistered guest
Berny:

Thanks for the info. I think my plan, for now, will be as follows:

1. Test the speaker in the planned location to see if it causes any fringe discoloration
2. If all is good, install and wait and see.
3. If I do see noticeable color distortion, I think I will try the "tin can" approach over the magnet.

Would you mind if I ask two follow-up questions?
1. If I don't see any problems with the TV picture, can I assume that I am not damaging the monitor?
2. If I do the "tin can" approach, do I need to encase the tweeter magnet as well, or just the larger woofer magnet?

Thanks for the helpful links.

Matt
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us