Pre Planning

Username: Cutiger13

Post Number: 1
As we speak, I have guys framing our basement. My plans are to set up a home theater. I know this is vague but do I need to pre-wire for anything specifically? besides speakers etc. Is there a good source someone can direct me to so I can learn more. Any advice is appreciated.

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 635
This is vague. You have to make a plan as to where you want your HT equipment setup, where the screen goes and what type and where the rest of your A/V is going to go and then plan your wires appropriately.

Username: Oops_rahul

Charlotte, Nc Usa

Post Number: 1
Hi, I have a TV, DVD player and 4 speakers. I want to setup a home theater with this. Which components will I need. Do I need AV receiver?

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 4713
That is nice rahul....but next time, start your own thread instead of hijacking this one.

To answer your question, yes, you need an aV receiver and perhaps another speaker for center channel.

Bronze Member
Username: Praetorian

Post Number: 32
Chris, you need to let us know the type of eqpt you have/plan to install. Will you be using a cable feed for yout TV, or Sattelite, things like that. Dimensions would be good, lighting sources, type of screen (ie projector, rear projector, plasma...).

You will also have/want to prewire for your sub. Consideration for placement of devices as well. Will you want to have your receiver close to your TV, or will it be in a different spot in the room. If the walls are not up, there are a lot of options for you!

Bronze Member
Username: Hogwild

Post Number: 25
Research and plan now before all the electrical is completed - as you may find a reason to relocate your theatre.

This could affect lighting and power supply.

Check out dipole surrounds and rears - they have specific wall and room symetry requirements.

Determine the screen size and optimal seating location. Your speakers will be placed relative to seating.

Use good quality 12v gauge speaker wire and sub coax. You can find some good wire at home depot.

Bronze Member
Username: Em69

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 59
I went so far as to run all my wiring, set-up all equipment and perform tests before drywalling.

If something doesn't work or you want something changed, it may be a little hard to do after the drywall does up.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us