DLP digital audio output connections

Username: Billcsg

San Jose, CA USA

Post Number: 1
I've always been baffled at the prospect of spending big dollars for a b-i-g video screen with tiny side speakers and "Virtual-surround" I guess I'm an audio-phile at heart but I'm now at that juncture.

Question:
I have a B&K Ref 30 pre-amp and AVP5000 amp, DirecTV, a DVD player and a ProScan I'm replacing with a DLP 1080P, probably Samsung or Toshiba in the 60 - 65 inch range.

B&K gear switches audio better than video and if I only have one video source, i.e. DirecTV, they recommend running DirecTV audio to my pre-amp and the video straight to the monitor.

OK, but now I'm planning on purchasing a DLP system and I already envision multiple digital inputs, all with audio connection requirements.

My pre-amp doesn't have digital video interfaces and doesn't plan to. Could I just connect multiple HDMI sources to my DLP set and utlize the digital-audio out on the monitor to switch the audio back to my pre-amp? Will this allow my video-challenged pre-amp to last longer by essentially using the DLP monitor to handle multiple video sources while switching the audio back to my pre-amp?

In the case of the new Sony Lcos Wega, they advertize just that. "And a digital audio out for connection to external home theater systems."

I could say I'm glad it's finally here but I can't believe the video side of "Home Theater" has ignored external audio processing for so many years.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bill

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us