Help me keep my component cool!!!

Username: Cornhead

Post Number: 1
I need help to keep my components cool! I have a 4'x2'x2' two-shelf wooden cabinet with wooden front doors mounted on my wall housing all my components.

My system includes a 200W AVR and two additional 100W amps (for zones 2+3) on the top shelf, with a dvd, xm radio component receiver and tv box on the bottom shelf. My question: How do I cool the cabinet (16 cu. ft) adequately? It gets very warm if the front doors are not left open.

While I know about the various Active Thermal Management products (they seem high priced to me), I thought about using a CoolerMaster Areogate III regulator (independently and variously controls four fans)with three Silenx fans(www.silenx.com/fan_pro_54.asp), probably using the 11dB (vs 14dB) fans, connected to a 12V AC converter. I would put several vent holes in the bottom of the cabinet and pull air thru the mid shelf (with additional vent holes in it) and then move the heat out the top. The Silenx fans (11dB, 22 CFM each)are supposedly very quiet (and move twice the air for the same dB as my temporarily single Radio Shack fan).

Has anyone used this system sucessfully? How much air flow is required (I frequently push my amps and AVR to near max volumes generating lots of heat)? Is 66CFM adequate or do I need more? I want to keep the noise of the cooling fans to a minimum as I want the fans to run to a pre-set temp after the system is turned off.

Any other suggestions on cooling my cabinet? I would greatly appreciate any help? I am desperate and doing this soley. I am not electrically inclined either?

Thanks tons
JMD

Bronze Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 55
I think that by the time all is said and done, an open rack might be the easiest and best solution unless the cabinet is already specifically designed to extract heat.

If you do decide to modify the existing cabinet, use larger diameter fans that run at lower rps to keep noise levels tolerable. 120mm fans or larger.

Post Number: 2
Thanks Westcott

Unfortunately, the cabinet is not amendable to becoming open. I do, however, really like the idea of using a larger fan at lower speeds to reduce the noise. That is a great idea!

Any thoughts on the planned setup?? Or should I just run the fans all the time and bypass the fan regulator.

Thanks again

Bronze Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 64
I would just buy some AC fans from Radio Shack, plug them into your receiver so that they are only on when your equipment is running. No extra switches or solenoids. Make sure they do not add any electical noise\humm and you are good to go.

Good Luck

Post Number: 3
Westcott

Thanks for all your help. It is helpful to talk this out since I have some spendy equipment.

I tested my current setup. Before I turned any equipment on, my cabinet temperature was 69 degrees (F); after 3 hrs with the equipment on the temp inside my cabinet was 130 degrees (F). I was shocked---a 60 degree increase! I then turned off the equipment, kept the doors closed and with one 33CFM fan venting out the top and it took 2 hrs to cool down to 70 degrees.

Because of this, I am not sure I can just connect the fans to my equipment to keep the cabinet at a constant 70 degrees. If my 4'x2'x2' (16 cubic feet) is not adequately vented with one 33CFM at full speed, how much air flow do you think I will need?

Again I am looking at Silenx fans (http://www.silenx.com/fan_pro_74.asp) because they are very quiet and very reasonably priced, but will definitely increase to 120mm (THANK YOU AGAIN-Great idea!). The two 120 mm Silenx fans move either 42CFM (@11dB) or 64 CFM (@14dB) per fan. Since I will have 3 fans (either 42CFM x 3 fans=126 CFM with 33dB or 64CFM x 3 fans=192 CFM with 42dB), which would you suggest?

How would you then hook them up? Could I hook them all up to a single 12V AC converter or do I need three converters? I'm ok getting rid of the Coolmaster regulator to help eliminate noise but I would like the fans to turn on when the AVR turns on and go off only when the cabinet is cool enough. I thought about a timer but that would turn on when I turn the AVR on---that's why I thought about the CoolMaster.

Any other suggestions???

Post Number: 4
Westcott

Thanks for all your help. It is helpful to talk this out since I have some spendy equipment.

I tested my current setup. Before I turned any equipment on, my cabinet temperature was 69 degrees (F); after 3 hrs with the equipment on the temp inside my cabinet was 130 degrees (F). I was shocked---a 60 degree increase! I then turned off the equipment, kept the doors closed and with one 33CFM fan venting out the top and it took 2 hrs to cool down to 70 degrees.

Because of this, I am not sure I can just connect the fans to my equipment to keep the cabinet at a constant 70 degrees. If my 4'x2'x2' (16 cubic feet) is not adequately vented with one 33CFM at full speed, how much air flow do you think I will need?

Again I am looking at Silenx fans (http://www.silenx.com/fan_pro_74.asp) because they are very quiet and very reasonably priced, but will definitely increase to 120mm (THANK YOU AGAIN-Great idea!). The two 120 mm Silenx fans move either 42CFM (@11dB) or 64 CFM (@14dB) per fan. Since I will have 3 fans (either 42CFM x 3 fans=126 CFM with 33dB or 64CFM x 3 fans=192 CFM with 42dB), which would you suggest?

How would you then hook them up? Could I hook them all up to a single 12V AC converter or do I need three converters? I'm ok getting rid of the Coolmaster regulator to help eliminate noise but I would like the fans to turn on when the AVR turns on and go off only when the cabinet is cool enough. I thought about a timer but that would turn on when I turn the AVR on---that's why I thought about the CoolMaster.

Any other suggestions???

Liviu
Unregistered guest
The multiple fans would be a good idea imho to prevent hotspots in a cabinet with (non ventilated) shelves.

meanwell makes nice/reliable 12v powersupplies that should handle them all pretty easily

for DC fans try this one
http://www.directron.com/120l1a.html

Username: Jhn

Post Number: 1
I was just having this same problem. I am pretty confortable with electronics and computers, but only have limited experience with wiring computer components - and have no experience with wiring cooling fans.

The previous post seems like a great idea for cooling a system. But I am a little confused on how to hook it up:

1. Does the Aerogate not provide the power for the fans?
2. What kind of converter do I buy, and how do I know which one is right? What am I looking for?
3. I went to Meanwell, and the have lots of products, but I can't tell what I am looking for.
4. What do I need to wire teh fans to the AC Converter and the Aerogate?

If this is not the right system,or is the wrong way to go, I'm completely open to a new diretion.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us