Setting up HDTV , HD-cable, and VCR

Username: Cross

Post Number: 1
I need to connect HD-cable with a HDTV and a Stero VCR and was wondering if my idea would work.

Basically I'm using this diagram as reference.
Upload

Wall line ---> Splitter into A and B

A --> HDTV Cable Box --> TV (via component video and RCA audio)

HDTV cable box -> Coaxial goes to VCR and VCR is connected to HDTV via RCA composite cables.

B --> TV RF port for PIP

My question is:

1) Will this setup work?

2) Can I do coaxial to VCR and then output VCR to TV using composite cables. The reason I want to do this is so that now I don't need to buy a RCA splitter to split the audio from the HD-Cable Box to TV and VCR. I need to still be able to record with my VCR.

2) Do I still need to connect VCR RF out to the HDTV coaxial RF input or will the composite connections be good enough (I don't mind viewing VHS tapes through Line or AUX)

Thanks for the help.

Cross

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 587
Cross,

"1) Will this setup work?"

Yes, provided you are happy recording the same channel you're watching. The advantage is that you can record all channels, even the premium channels the cable box "unscrambles." (HD channels excluded, of course.)

"2) Can I do coaxial to VCR and then output VCR to TV using composite cables."

Yes. Now you can tune in any channel on the cable box while recording any other non-premium unscrambled channel on the VCR.

"The reason I want to do this is so that now I don't need to buy a RCA splitter to split the audio from the HD-Cable Box to TV and VCR. I need to still be able to record with my VCR."

Why do need to do this?

"Do I still need to connect VCR RF out to the HDTV coaxial RF input or will the composite connections be good enough (I don't mind viewing VHS tapes through Line or AUX)"

There is no need for a coax RF line from the VCR to the TV in either hook-up scheme.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 588
"There is no need for a coax RF line from the VCR to the TV in either hook-up scheme."

Oops, I forgot about the PIP. Your TV may require that one of the TV's RF antenna inputs be the source of one of the pictures. If so, you do need to hook up a coax from the VCR RF out to one of the TV's antenna inputs (in your second hook up proposal).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us