HDTV Connection woes, HD Cable & Xbox 360 needs...any ideas?

Unregistered guest
Good Day eCoustics team!

I'm a current owner of Mitsubishi WS55511 55" HDTV. It's a few years old now and on the back panel has 2 component cable connections that the label says supports 480i and 480 p.

Next to it is a 3rd connector called DTV, which also allows component cables to connect but the label here says it supports 480i, 480p, 1080i.

So I'm using the DTV connector to plug my HD Comcast Cable box into it, so I can get HD channels. IT works great.

But now I bought my son a new Xbox 360 which I see supports HD 720p and 1080i as well as the normal 480p. But upon starting to connect it I remembered my TV appears to only have that single port supporting anything higher than 480p.

I'm guessing this is because its an older TV model... ?? It looks like a lot the newer Mitsu models have more than one 720p or 1080i port,

But my question for you guys is:

Is there a way to convert one or both of my Input 1 and Input 2 (component 480i/480p) ports .... Over to be like the DTV port that also supports 1080i (or 720p) too?

I've heard about these transcoders, but don't know if that's what they are meant for? Or does Mitsubushi Digital have any other converter or upgrade options to make use of my existing TV, adding a 2nd 1080 or 720 p port?

IF you have any suggestions please throw them my way. As of right now, were just using the xbox on the lower 480p since we don't have any other choice (other than unplugging the HD Cable which would suck for TV shows etc..). But we're losing the awesome graphics running on the lower setting. And I obviously don't want to sacrifice the HD Cable by unplugging it either.

Any ideas? Or am I screwed and would need to buy a new TV with more 1080i (or 720p) ports?

Thanks for the help,

Darrin Tyacke
Ktoomba@comcast.net

Unregistered guest
WOW its like you read my mind, I have the exact setup but I am trying to connect my new ONKYO home theatre system with all the same components, I am wondering if anyone can help me with the setup!!! The system is a HT-S580.

MadMatt2024
Unregistered guest
I am not a tech but I would guess it would be next to impossible to do. Your best bet would probably be to get HD component video switch. You plug both sources into the switch and plug the switch into your tv. You push a button in the switch to change the source. Some home theater receivers even have this switching built in.

Silver Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 584
Sounds like MadMatt is correct to me. Since neither Darrin's TV nor Joe's Onkyo has (wide band) component selection, an external switch is the answer. There may be cheaper ones out there than this one:

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/40-814.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us