Home theater- just getting started

Username: Mike_t

New Jersey

Post Number: 1
I have been skimming the board for a few weeks, and wanted to thank those of you who have lent some expertise to us newbs.

I am trying to compliment a 50 inch panny plasma (the new 500 U) with an audio setup. I say audio because given the dimensions of the room it may not lend well to surround sound, so I wanted to get some advice.

I've attempted to attach a pic of the room (neither of those people are me), but the dimensions are 20x16x18 (2 story ceiling) about 5800 cubic feet, open behind my seating into the breakfast area/kitchen nook, which provides an additional 15x23 area (9 foot ceilings).

In terms of equipment, I am truly a novice, so rather than spout off the names of some past equipment I want to keep an open mind and to be honest am not sure if I can discern between what many folks on these boards can in terms of quality. That being said, I have about 1800-2000 I would like to spend in terms of audio, I already have a DVD player, so basically only need a receiver and speakers, (probably separate amp not necessary in this price range?) would prefer smaller speakers as oppossed to large, but doesn't have to be sats, just don't want anything chunky under the plasma. No issue with floorstanding, in fact I really like the looks of many I have seen so far. Since this pic was taken I now have plasma stand below the wall mounted TV, which nicely sits only 21" inches high.

I know this is vague and leaves a lot of options open, but I am just starting this process. Also attached is a newer pic of the breakfast nook, and an older shot of the kitchen behind the nook. All of this opens into the faimly room, one straight shot. Thanks in advance Upload
Upload
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Chitown

Post Number: 566
Beautiful house, congratulations, a few questions first:

1) how much room are you willing to give up on that front by the TV for speakers and equipment? Are you thinking of mounting the speakers on the wall or buying floorstanding or bookshelves?

2) your cable box (dvd player?) is sitting on the floor, are you getting a rack to put this and a receiver into?

3) Why is the TV mounted so far up the wall?

New Jersey

Post Number: 2
thanks for the compliment. I'll try to answer...

1) how much room are you willing to give up on that front by the TV for speakers and equipment? Are you thinking of mounting the speakers on the wall or buying floorstanding or bookshelves? I've attached a new pic showing low lying furniture i just got. 2nd part, I think if I went wall mounted I would only do something akin to the orbs or a simlar size. However, I think two nice floorstanding alongside the plasma stand would look great, hard to gauge with the tree in the way.

2) your cable box (dvd player?) is sitting on the floor, are you getting a rack to put this and a receiver into? see 1st question, it bothered me every day to look at that, stand and coffee table took 15 weeks, I cancelled the order until they gave me another 10% off and free delivery. Anyway, I think after the cable box and dvd, I will rack everything in the office (wall behind the TV). Luckily my father in law is an electrician.

3) Why is the TV mounted so far up the wall? It actually isn't. I am only 5'7 and the middle of the tv is my sightline, I think the picture shows this better. Again, thanks for the compliment.

Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Em69

OttawaCanada

Post Number: 56
But you do not watch TV standing up. If you are sitting down, you must be looking up at it...arent't you?

New Jersey

Post Number: 3
yes, however I had to make a judgement call. My entire space is open into the kitchen, and I do a lot of entertaining in which people are standing around my center island, the kitchen table and all over. While I do agree it could be a little lower, bear in mind that furniture you see in the last picture is only 21 inches high. Center of the TV is my eye level standing and I am short.

Silver Member

Post Number: 573
Well that's the trick in deciding on the size and placement first before looking into the speakers. If you decide to go with a rack then you could place two floor standing next to it and perhaps a center channel on the top of the rack. Then you worry about running cables to the back for a set of smaller bookshelves that you can mount.

If you want to go smaller and mount all of them then you can worry about wiring, but if you go that way, definitly pair up your speakers with a great subwoofer. HSU makes really good subs for an HT system.

New Jersey

Post Number: 5
thx. I do like the idea of two floorstanding alongisde the stand and tv. So, I would most likely end up with rears mounted on a shelf on one side, approx ear level, and on the other side up the wall about 7-8 feet where the two story ceiling begins in this room. All of the equipment will be in a rack in the office unseen.

Realistically I would probably try and keep everything (speakers, receiver closer to 1,500). Like I said, I do not at this point discern between the quality everyone else does, but who knows, you have to start somewhere, and I would like to keep an open mind in terms of quality and price.

Bronze Member
Username: Westcott

League City, Texas

Post Number: 42
On a limited budget, I would suggest two nice floor standers and a mid range receiver. A nice center channel would be nice too but would really stretch the budget.

I recomend quality over quantity. Quality speakers can last a very long time. I would suggest the lions share of your budget go towards fewer, nicer speakers.

Bronze Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 43
P.S. Your room screams front projection!!!

I can hear it down here in Texas!

Nice home!

Silver Member

Post Number: 578
Westcott I can see your point about the front projection, but there seems to be a skylight of some sort above the current TV, so I don't know how that would work with all that light coming in.

Mike I would agree with nice speakers up front and not spending too much for the back. What hi-end hifi stores do you have access to to audition speakers? I would say spend about $1000 - $1100 on speakers and about $400 on a good refurbished HT receiver.

New Jersey

Post Number: 6
thx for the responses, you guys are really helpful!

Westcott- That wall is a like a blank canvass, however I have so much light, see the attached that I am getting my windows tinted to preserve my furniture as well as reduce glare. In addition my kitchen has a lot of windows, and to make matters worse my backyard has no trees/protection. Between 1-4 (my football time) the tv is unwatchable.

Stof-Any recommendations for some brands I should check out in terms of speakers and a receiver? Are you saying that I will get more for my buck on a used 400, recevier than on a new one simliary priced? Also, I have no issue with not having a complete surround at this juncture.

If I wasn't saving for a deck, and the puppy we just got my budget would be a little more forgiving. Again, this system will be mostly for home theater.

Silver Member

Post Number: 582
I think if you were to poll everyone here you would be pushed to spend more on better speakers than an HT receiver. Technology for these receivers change much faster than speaker technology. A good set of speakers can last you 10-15 years. A good receiver is outdated in about 3-4 especially when it has to deal with switching all these new technologies coming down the pike (HDMI, Hi-Def etc.)

As far as a receiver goes, I would go with a Panasonic (there is a whole bunch of fuss being made about a digital XR-55 on the Receiver forum that you can read about. It's only $235 or so.), a refurbished Yamaha or Denon on-line.

Speakers really depend on your taste and again footprint. I don't know what you have access to audition in person, though I would guess you don't have limited choices between NJ and NY. I have had very good experience with some on-line stores such as Aperion.com and Axiom speakers. Other people here have recommended Ascend speakers. If you get bigger floorstanding speakers and center than you won't have to worry about a subwoofer for now.

Username: Stupkaa

LondonUK

Post Number: 4
Setting up a HT system from scratch is both challenging and exciting and hell there is a lot to think about and remember -- which is why I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions and Merry Xmas to all!

Can I get some thoughts on the following;

Is Denon releasing a 3920 DVD player, if so can some point me to a website? Yes, I've look at Denon's.

As I'm living in Saudi, the options are limited, thou I now have a contact in Dubai.
I went and heard the Bose 15 & 16 leaving as if I was missing something. Then I experience Monitor Audio's Bronze and Silver range and was sold. The dealer is even happy to get the receiver I'm after and Demo the system with there speakers - bonus. He did suggest that maybe I look at a Marantz 7600 Receiver , has anyone some first hand experience with this make and model?

So at this stage my system is looking like this;

Sony 40" V series
Monitor Audio Silver RS6 or 8 at a push
Denon 3910
Denon 3806 or 4306 maybe a Marantz

Is there anything else that I should be considering or worth a look?

Thanks again.

Silver Member

Post Number: 588
You are not going to go wrong with either the Marantz or the Denon.

MA has a great line of speakers.

Bronze Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 44
If anyone can tell you that controlling light can be expensive, I can. I have a very similar house design and lots of windows too.

Stof is right, you can not go wrong with either of the receivers and speakers really do last a long time.

B&W, Klipsch, Paradigm, etc. Their are so many to choose from. I find auditioning them the funniest part of the whole project.

Happy Holidays and good luck!

P.S. You can see my family room under "His and Her Room!" in the gallery for ideas.

New Jersey

Post Number: 7
Merry Xmas everyone!

Stof/Wes I have access to great stores in my area. Bob & Ron's Worldwide stereo and the HiFi House in Philly, but I am first going to check out a place in Delaware called Overture early this week. Why would a refurb make more sense than a newer model for around 400?

I checked and the place carries B & W and Paradigm, for my price ragne (about 1k) what models of each should I look at for a pair of towers?

New Jersey

Post Number: 8
Checked out a few speakers yesterday. The B&W 600 series floorstanding, and also the Paradigm Studio 60's v3.

The B&W's were on all rotel equip at the one shop, the paradigm were running off of Krell at the other. I know the equipment is certainly a factor, but I enjoyed the paradigm's much more so than the B&W. I brought some country, John Legend, Diana Krall, Metallica.

Really enjoed the demos, just now disappointed in the prices. Everywhere I went they pitched that no $500 recevier can handle the floors even as a stand alone. The paradigms were for sale "out the door" at around $1480, no sales tax in Delaware. Of course they pushed their products, the one store was deadset on a Rotel 1065 for my price range (even thought it wa around 1100, the other guy told me to go with something from Outlaw (which I appreciated given they offered about 6 receiver brands. I just don;t understand the whole amp/preamp processor as of yet, need to do some research first.

New Jersey

Post Number: 9
Checked out a few speakers yesterday. The B&W 600 series floorstanding, and also the Paradigm Studio 60's v3.

The B&W's were on all rotel equip at the one shop, the paradigm were running off of Krell at the other. I know the equipment is certainly a factor, but I enjoyed the paradigm's much more so than the B&W. I brought some country, John Legend, Diana Krall, Metallica.

Really enjoed the demos, just now disappointed in the prices. Everywhere I went they pitched that no $500 recevier can handle the floors even as a stand alone. The paradigms were for sale "out the door" at around $1480, no sales tax in Delaware. Of course they pushed their products, the one store was deadset on a Rotel 1065 for my price range (even thought it wa around 1100, the other guy told me to go with something from Outlaw (which I appreciated given they offered about 6 receiver brands. I just don;t understand the whole amp/preamp processor as of yet, need to do some research first.

Silver Member

Post Number: 600

Well that's the danger of walking into these stores. I can imagine that the Rotel running the B&W's were very enticing as would the Krell's. I own an older Rotel amp that has lasted me almost 16 years now. I am using it in a 2 speaker system in my bedroom now. So you won't go wrong by spending the extra money, but for an HT system there are really other alternatives.

Either a higher end Marantz or Denon will drive those towers fine. Even a Denon 2805 should do fine (I have a friend running B&W 600 with a 2805 and he has no complaints). However you should be able to get a refurbished Denon 3805 or Marantz 7400 or a higher end Yamaha that will cost around $500-$750 and will drive those speakers just fine.

Bronze Member

League City, Texas

Post Number: 49
The studio 60's are the smallest reference floorstanders, if I am not mistaken. This will really stretch your budget but will not dissapoint.

I like the B&W's and find they really have a good history of great audio design (visit their site).

I found this doing a search. You may be able to find a deal like this.

2 years new. DM-604, with kevlar mid-range driver material. Well maintained. $600 ea.
Call Rick 757.563.8012

Do not know this person. Just something I found digging around.

One other option but I am bias.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5842310968&category=61378

Happy Holidays!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us